Ad Astra

A film with a huge RT discrepancy (84/40 as I write this), I can see the audience's vitriol for the film, while still finding enough merit to award a (69), a 3 ½ star on the scale. I've said it before and I'll say it again, "space" movies frighten me far more than any conventional horror. In Ad Astra, we're shot into the late 21st century that feels realistic enough to be a plausible future — space travel is normalized — Roy (Brad Pritt) is even charged $125 for a pillow and blanket as if he were flying Ryanair — and several countries have settlements on the Moon and even Mars. Space travel has extended to the farther reaches of the galaxy, wherein an American-led ship has been stationed outside of Neptune's rings for 16 years, exploring the galaxy for a combined 29. Roy is the son of the captain of that expedition, H. Clifford McBride (Tommy Lee Jones), who takes the "I WANT TO BELIEVE" meme to a whole new level. The film rightly has drawn comparisons to Apocalypse Now! (which is an adaptation of Conrad's Heart of Darkness). There must be a rule somewhere that after so many iterations of a property it is mandatory that one take place IN SPACE. There's definitely plenty of space-exclusive action — the rover chase scene on the Moon was especially cool, but I think set expectations too high, as it was included in the trailer — but the film still felt contained, for lack of a better word, in all its epic vastness. This might be due to the fact we hear Roy's voice more often in his head than spoken from his mouth. Moreover, the "world," as in the boundaries of Earth that had extended into the galaxy, were so tantalizing, but like the tragedy of Tantalus himself, our thirst is never quenched. We get space baboons… for some reason, so there's that. Overall, it's a touching story with a nice message — maybe we're all alone in this universe, and that's OK — but let's just say Roy's father won't ever be buying a t-shirt sporting: "I love someone who followed in my footsteps to Neptune and back."
    If you feel like slipping into a bout of depression, check this one out.
    if you are a fan of 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY you will love this.
    Watch uninterrupted and with patience to appreciate this sublime, alternate (courageous) approach to the human upper level consciousness of space
    For the first hour of the film, I found myself frustrated by the slow pace but came to realize that the pacing was critical to establishing for the audience one of the best parts of the movie - the way it highlights the stillness of space. Pitt's performance adds to this with his sustained sense of calm while still being able to convey emotion, contemplation, and calculation through subtle facial expression. In terms of the story, it felt like a retelling of The Lost City of Z set in space from the perspective of the explorer's son.
    Awfully long, for little reason, some scenes unnecessary to continue the plot. Was ok.
    Brad Pitt puts on a great performance in a really visually stunning film with a great message that will leave you with many thoughts. That sounds like one incredible movie experience, but the film is very much flawed by the several dragging scenes in the film. The film picks up about every 20-30 minutes, but it only does so for about 5 minutes then you are right back to wondering how long before the credits arise. The film seems as if it is trying very hard to seem intelligent which takes you out the film as well, but the message is powerful and for that credit is due to be given to this movie. Overall, people who enjoy sci-fi movies should see the movie at least once, and indie film lovers should take a crack at this as well just to form an opinion, otherwise it is not something that should be a must-see.
    Boring, unrealistic, over-dramatic - although the visuals of other planets were nice.
    I honestly don't remember anything good to say about this waste of time. I am still waiting for the Brad Pitt movie in which I can say that he is the good performer so many people say he is. At the end of the day, this slow paced movie doesn't bring anything new to science fiction movies and is boring as hell.
    I loved this film. It straddles the fence between art film and science fiction epic, and I think that rubbed the mass audience the wrong way. It got me though, and I'm happy I saw it. The themes of father VS son, reason VS passion, and progress VS process all resonated with me. Pitt delivers an amazing performance of a man who has constructed walls within himself to keep him safe from how he really feels. Jones as the mad scientist father ready to burn everything for what he believes in is just as brilliant. When the two collide it's an emotional tour de force. In the end the film is about coming to terms with the past and letting go of the pain it creates in us. It's a slow burn, and not a film that could have ever had mass appeal, but it makes you think and feel, which is what a great film is supposed to do.