aTypical Wednesday

aTypical Wednesday is an irreverent, original, and fresh comedy that takes J. Lee on a journey of self discovery that will have you rooting for and learning from him while laughing out loud.
    Super fun and interesting indie movie! A little slow at the beginning but stick with it and it gets great. Lots of funny commentary and great writing. Not too over done either which is a nice change of pace from other movies out right now. Definitely worth a few bucks! Great for all ages (minus some swearing here and there).
    Enjoyed this movie. The cast is really great, and the film made made think AND laugh. If you're in the mood for an odd couple misadventure with some big laughs, check this one out. Bonus: some great therapy tips - we can all use them!
    Amazingly written piece. The ability to touch on so many important subjects and still find a way to find the funny in it all is brilliantly done!! This movie is a must see!!!
    This movie is damn funny. You think it's going to be predictable, but it's not. That last scene is worth the price of admission. This film left me rolling on the floor so many times I had to stop and rewind it. It's easily the best 9 year old/grown black dude buddy film ever made.
    What a premise: 30-y/o Black man offers a 9-y/o White kid a ride home from therapy and doesn't think to PHONE ANYONE. If you can swallow that, then you'll have no problem with them spending the entire day riding around without calling the kid's parents. I watched this because Seth Green is in it. Perhaps he was doing a friend a favor, because the script sucks even harder than the premise. Green's character is inconsequential from any angle. The 9-y/o kid from therapy is unconvincing and not a joy to watch. The women in this movie mostly serve to attest t o what a hot player Gabe (J Lee) is. I don't blame the actors, every character is written for comic effect, and it's not funny. Written/directed/starring J.Lee, this reeks of an ego trip that never should have gotten a production budget.
    Somehow, JLee balances humor with deeply touching moments. The therapy sessions are not only revealing of the character, but also a voice to many of our own unspoken vulnerabilities. I thought I was going to leave with just a laugh, but the inspirational message woven through the story, has left me fired up to take on some of my own life obstacles!
    Loved it!!! My favorite scenes are in the therapy office. The interchanges between Gabe (J. Lee) and his therapist (Michael Ealy) are golden. The script is expertly written, the acting in these scenes is superb and the use of the overexposed windows silhouetting the subjects and overall white look provides a great surreal effect. This movie was shot in only a few days on a very low budget, yet there are so many things going right in it. Many of the well-known actors who play in it I believe are friends of J. Lee and agreed to be part of the project out of love for him and his work. It's possible some of the scenes were shot without a whole lot of rehearsal, though I'm not sure about that. I'm particularly impressed with the many interior car scenes---they all look real with no green screen or other special effects. So I believe they were actually driving around in the cars shooting the scenes. Even those shots through the front windshield. Very well done! The story is excellent with some twists and turns that I didn't expect, however TBH I consider those to be icing on the cake. What sold me early on was the character development. Gabe is a real person that I can instantly relate to and the device of showing scenes with his therapist allows us to instantly see him for who he is---a multifaceted, loveable yet complicated guy trying to work figure out what life is all about. Yet it's a comedy and there are many extremely funny moments throughout the film. This is what I love---besides being immensely talented and hard working it is obvious that J. Lee is honest, authentic, loves people, and loves life. All this comes through his character Gabe who is excellently written and acted. A few scenes in the 2nd half of the movie didn't quite land for me, but that was fine because by then I had already bought the movie as a whole and therefore my expectations for the quality were very high. The wrap up at the end also seemed a little forced---but I am being really nit picky now. Just things for J. Lee to work on as he gains more experience as a Writer/Producer/Director. I consider these wrinkles in an otherwise great product and no doubt would have been smoothed out if he had the time and money to re-shoot them. Yes see it, enjoy it, tell all your friends, and tell them Matt from Pranakasha Productions sent you :) ---Matt Matthew Charles Weiss Violinist-Cellist-Composer | Starship Captain | Internet Shirt Yogi Tabla | Cowboy-Gidder-Penguin enthusiast Pranakasha Productions chief creative officer The Octava Chamber Orchestra concertmaster/president Seattle, WA USA
    I like the movie, sort of an odd match-up buddy movie with "what can go wrong next" tones. I will say I did find myself unexpectedly laughing out loud over most of the second half of the movie. The 1st half of the movie was more thought provoking, with light humor, about the challenges of life. it was a nice movie I would recommend if you're looking for a respite from 2020