Blithe Spirit

This was a silly, zanny comedy and I enjoyed it for what it was. This movie had scenes that were almost sexy, yet still silly... in Body Mind and Spirit! It was very well written and while some of the plot was predictable, it was still a funny movie. ** NOT for Children. 8 of 10.
    One of the worst movies since Rotten Tomatoes was played. Slap stick, and not entertaining
    Very disappointing considering the cast. It was like watching preschool kids trying to find love. Could be fun for children.
    No good obnoxious and annoying to watch, everyones trying to be too funny and campy but it just cones off as loud
    My husband & I were not familiar with the stage play and the 1945 movie. Needless to say, we didn't know what to expect. We thought the movie a little goofy but entertaining. We thought Leslie Mann did a great job with her role. Judi Dench, as always, did a very good job as well. For the most part, everyone did a good job with their roles. We don't know how this would compare to the stage play & the older movie, but we enjoyed ourselves getting entertained and having a good laugh.
    Blithe Spirit wastes a talented cast on a bad script. Dan Stevens, Isla Fisher, Leslie Mann, and Judi Dench were all great and definitely made a strong effort with their performances. The production and costume design were also pretty solid. The film tries to harken back to old school screwball comedies and it doesn’t work. The film just isn’t funny, and feels way longer than the 99 minutes it actually. I did appreciate the ending though. It tries to take things in a different direction, and while it isn’t wholly successful due to certain unlikeable characters, I do applaud the ambition. Overall, this wasn’t a successful remake. I haven’t seen the original, but I assume it’s better. I wish the script was as good as the cast was.
    The acting was good but there was no substance. It could have been so much better. It came to an abrupt and predictable ending. There were a few brief short laughs but nothing consistent.
    Hilarious Noel Coward's play brought to the screen and Judi Dench stole the film as the spiritualist medium who brought back the ex-wife of a writer suffering from writer's block in a seance, thus chaos ensues with his present wife.
    Edward Hall's Blithe Spirit is a terrible movie adaptation of an otherwise classic play created by Nöel Coward, the legendary English playwright. I was bored out of my mind within the first hour, and felt horrible for how underused Leslie Mann and Isla Fisher were. Do yourself a favor and skip this one altogether.
    IN A NUTSHELL: This comedy is a remake of the 1945 film Blithe Spirit which starred Rex Harrison, as well as the 2010 Blithe Spirit . I haven't seen either of those versions, although many critics are saying that the 1945 original is the best. I'd love to hear your comments below what YOU think. The ghost of an award-winning writer's ex-wife comes back as his muse. That kind of gives new insight to the term "ghostwriter." ha ha As an author myself, there is so much I could relate to about this movie directed by Edward Hall! Writer's Block is a real thing! TIPS FOR PARENTS: A lot of sexual innuendoes Some profanity Death, dying, murder, ghosts Your kids might wonder what a seance is and try to do one. THEMES: Writers Muses and inspiration Marriage, exes Jealousy THINGS I LIKED: I adore Dan Stevens and loved him in Downton Abbey: Original UK Version Episode 1 and Beauty and the Beast (2017) (Theatrical Version). He has a wonderful singing voice, although we don't get to hear it in this film. Both of the leading ladies look stunning. They're played by Isla Fisher and Leslie Mann. For a woman in her mid-80s, Dame Judi Dench has been pumping out a lot of movies lately! The film is full of rich colors, lovely costumes, and set design. THINGS I DIDN'T LIKE: I don't think I laughed once. It felt like an old comedy that might have been funny in the 1960s. It also felt like a slapstick stage play but with better sets. All of the characters feel very one-dimensional. It's hard to feel sorry for rich people who live so luxuriously and are so self-centered. Extremely forgettable. FUNNY LINES: "Do you need anything else?" – Edith "Divine intervention." – Charles Condomine (Dan Stevens) "Faking an exotic accent doesn't mean your gift isn't real." – Charles Condomine (Dan Stevens) "I'm well aware of the irony in your voice, Dr. Bradman." – Madame Arcati (Judi Dench) "Oh, that's good! I didn't see that coming!" – Charles Condomine ( Dan Stevens) "Of course not. You're just the writer." – Elvira Condomine (Leslie Mann) INTERESTING LINES: "You really have gotten too comfortable in your slippers, Charles." – Elvira Condomine (Leslie Mann) "How wonderful to not be frightened of the unknown." – Elvira Condomine (Leslie Mann) "You and I both know there's no such thing as an original story." – Elvira Condomine (Leslie Mann) You can see the rest of my review at Movie Review Mom website and YouTube channel.