Brahms: The Boy II

Full Star IconFull Star IconHalf Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    Why this film was made is beyond anyone's comprehension yet it wasn't terrible. Katie Holmes was sadly miscast as any C Grade actress could've gotten the role and it wouldn't have made a difference. The scares were very sudden and jumpy which isn't fun for anyone over the age of 16 so therefore it already alienates half its audience. The rest of the movie plays out like every other cliched PG-13 horror film you've seen. The ending is a bit better than the rest of the film but honestly I enjoyed the first Boy film and this completely ignored everything that one did which makes it literally pointless. Worth a rental for less than $5 if you're interested but don't get your hopes up
    Full Star IconFull Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    Brahms: The Boy 2 feels like a below-average haunted house/creepy doll checklist that ticks its boxes at lightning speed. Loud jumpscares? Check. Spooky forest mansion? Check. Porcelain doll with eyes and a supernatural finale? Double-check.
    Full Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    Not bad. I’m so starved for horror though
    Half Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    There are some films that are so bad they are good. This film is just not good. Honestly, I saw this film for free and I still feel ripped off.
    Full Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconHalf Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    Not a terrible idea for a sequel. The story is tweaked a bit from the first one , and we learn a bit of Brahms the dolls history. Along a few unexpected revelations as well. It's a horror with a bit of a mystery. I thought it wasn't too bad actually.
    Full Star IconHalf Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    This movie is horrible in all way!
    Usually when movies make a sequel they're not nearly as good as the first. The Boy was a great movie, with jump scares. Brahms: The Boy 2 was even better and had several MORE jump scares (that actually made me JUMP and even holler out loud!) OMG!, it was Totally Awesome! I CAN'T WAIT to see The Boy 3! So what if it got delayed! It was well worth waiting for. The Boy was creepy. Brahms was even Creepier! Brahms is a true Psychological Thriller that delivers surprising twists and doesn't disappoint you. The ending hints at a future Boy 3, and I would LOVE it if it continued with chapters to this story, like the Halloween movies.
    Full Star IconFull Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    I mostly enjoyed the creepy thrills of 2016's The Boy, where a young woman is hired by a wealthy old couple to watch their son who just happens to be a doll named Brahms who may or may not be alive. It built an atmosphere with patience until the very end where it definitively revealed the doll was not alive at all. Zoom ahead several years and now we have the awkwardly titled Brahms: The Boy II (why? why is the sequel status slated for the subtitle?) and it completely negates the previous movie. Surprise, that doll that was only a doll in the first movie is now a real supernatural presence who infects others and can move on its own. I don't consider this a significant spoiler merely because returning director William Brent Bell (The Devil Inside) tips his hand so early into the movie's 86 minutes. Because you know the doll is definitely alive now the rest of the movie becomes a tedious game of waiting for the adults to finally catch on, which makes the viewer impatient and also saps the dread out of scenes. This is the first movie I can recall where a person screams in front of a stationary doll and it's treated like a jump scare. Katie Holmes (Logan Lucky) does her best as the matriarch of a family suffering some serious psychological trauma after being the victims of a home invasion. She and her husband see the Brahms doll as a working conduit for their son to better process his trauma. He's even begun talking again, and also supposedly drawing very murderous pictures and saying how Brahma is angry. There's an interesting story somewhere in here about a family using a creepy doll as an unorthodox means of PTSD therapy, but The Boy II is just such a lackluster horror movie. We know the doll is alive yet all the things we're supposed to worry about are absent the doll's immediate vicinity. Even as it gets more and more blatant, including a finale that reveals what Brahms looks like behind his mask (did you even think there was a "behind"?), the movie fails to make you care about anything that's happening. It's sluggish, silly, and stale. Even if you were a marginal fan of the first one, I would advise skipping Brahms. I wonder if there will be a The Boy III that completely undoes the sequel, the Rise of Skywalker to The Boy II's Last Jedi. Never thought I'd write that sentence. Nate's Grade: C-
    It's just REALLY bad...
    Half Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    watched 30 minutes of it and said I was bored and DONE. Do not make any more please!