Doctor Sleep

Full Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconHalf Star Icon
    A good story and great acting by the whole cast. A-
    Half Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    We left the theater right after the scene depicting the brutal murder/torturing of the kid baseball player. Way too disturbing watch for anyone who has kids. Appalling. Be warned.
    Great casting/acting, great story and great job with the conclusion. Actually surprised this is not in the high 80’s w/ the critics.
    Very nice sequel to the Shining. Well done
    Followed the book exactly!
    Full Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconHalf Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    ****MAJOR SPOILERS FOR DOCTOR SLEEP***** . . . . . . . . So I wanted to write a full review of “Doctor Sleep” because of my intense dislike for the film. Now, let me start by saying I hate people who are like, “The book is better than the film.” However, in this case, it’s justified. Now let me reiterate…My intense dislike for the film is on the surface. For the general audience who has only seen “The Shining,” this movie is fine with plenty of call-backs to the original and a very cool third act that comes full circle. Now, as someone who has originally read “The Shining,” I enjoy both the film and the movie. That is not the case with “Doctor Sleep.” The movie doesn’t compliment the book whatsoever. Let me explain… There is simply too much information in “Doctor Sleep” to translate well into film. “Doctor Sleep” is an intense story about one man’s struggle against alcohol addiction, in which it affects every aspect of his life in the film. This is just glanced over - it shows his rock bottom and moves on. Also, the title of the book/film is “Doctor Sleep” - he works as an orderly who helps people pass on. While this is brought up in the movie, it seems to be a throw-away concept. The book explains that it helps with his alcohol addiction and allows him to be more in touch with the Shining. The Shining powers/abilities aren’t greatly explained in the movie. It seems as if they are making it up as they go along. Nothing is explained to the audience and you are just supposed to believe they can do these things for no reason. And there is nothing I hate more than things that happen for no reason in a movie. In the book, it is found out that Dan Torrance is a long lost uncle of Abra. This is so vastly important to the story towards the end and explains why she is so powerful. This is completely thrown out in the film and it’s not even hinted at. The third act in the book is amazing. There’s a call-back that is upsetting and an ending I’m not particularly fond of, however, it’s about a thousand times better than the film’s ending. The Overlook Hotel was long destroyed and is now breading ground for the True Knot. I feel this would have worked better on film. Also, Dan Torrance dies in the film for no reason. However, in the book he lives and Abra is his reason to live where she helps him be a better person. As I stated before, there is just too much information to make this into a film. Now, I believe they could have gotten away with a mini-series. “Doctor Sleep” is a great tribute to the Torrance family and one that I just felt was completely overlooked. I’m giving the movie a 3.5/5 Overlook Hotels - because I know the movie is fine and actually enjoyable to watch. I won’t rate it based on my personal opinion. So, I absolutely suggest “Doctor Sleep,” but I would say read the book as well.
    Full Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconHalf Star Icon
    Just a perfect sequel to the shinning film and the best adaptation of Doctor Sleep book, sooo reminiscent to the shinning, the cinematography and soundtrack It was just perfect
    Full Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconHalf Star Icon
    A great movie with well done visual effects drawing you deeper into the movies universe. The strongest moments are when it's not making heavy handed call backs to The Shining, which is why the third act seems the weakest of the movie, but is still a satisfying conclusion to the story.
    A great spin off ,lots of twist and turns
    This was a fantastic adaptation of King's novel while also incorporating aspects of Kubrick's Shining and the 1997 miniseries. It kept jump scares to a minimum, relying on atmosphere and storytelling for the true horror. As soon as I heard about the movie I was begging my friends to go (startling them because I usually hate scary films), and we all raved as soon as the end credits rolled. It is one of my favorite King novels, and it is at the top of my list of favorite films. Note: There is an extended sequence partway through the film of the torture and death of a child. It is carefully and thoughtfully shot, but it is still disturbing.