Downton Abbey

As a fan of the television series which I simply adored unfortunately, I cannot say the same about the movies. When a hit television series ends it should be left alone. I was excited to learn that a movie version was to be released, but to my disappointment "Downton Abbey" should've been left alone. There was no need to continue revisiting "our" favorite British dysfunctional family and servants. The script was lacking. All the pomp and circumstance remained. A royal visit? "Really?" as Mary would snidely say.
    My husband and I both loved it! I loved the show and he'd peek in from time to time and knew almost all of the characters -- miss the show and it was just great to see them again. Never would've thought this would be a show that I'd get addicted to, but I started watching to just make all my co-workers shut up about it and say I tried to watch it but then I got addicted and watched like 2 seasons in 2 nights. LOL
    Like many films adapted from hit TV shows, Downton Abbey assumes that its viewers will have a familiarity with the source material, and fails to establish its characters in any meaningful way over the course of the runtime as a result. The film retains many of the same weaknesses and strengths as the show - beautiful production quality (indeed, the greater budget allows for improvements over the usually solid standard) that feels cheapened by the plot's insistence on throwing in pointless melodrama. The characters attempt to hide their lack of depth through posh accents and short quips (except Maggie Smith, she's a treasure). Beyond that, the necessary runtime restrictions make the film feel overstuffed trying to give representation to each of its ensemble cast, and leaving supposedly impactful storylines feeling hollow as a result (including an assassination attempt that might have received ten minutes in total). Fans will love it because it continues on the same trajectory as the series, but it won't win many new hearts.
    Perfect continuation to the series, so enjoyable for the fans. I completely loved it
    I loved this show and was heartbroken when it ended. Despite it being a period show, the solid ensemble cast makes it an incredibly easy watch.
    Oh, for the days when period dramas meant the likes of Ismael Merchant, James Ivory and Ruth Prawer Jhabvala taking on a brilliant novel, or when a grand house worthy of Masterpiece Theatre came bursting with ideas and drama as in "Brideshead Revisited." Today it's little more than soap suds, set design and snobbery punctuated by the occasional bon mot. After delivering seven seasons of Downton Abbey, Julian Fellowes knows that recipe by heart, and he allows nothing unexpected or of consequence to spoil it. The plot for his big screen sequel to his small screen series centers on a royal dinner and which servants are to get the honor of polishing the silver. As Dame Maggie Smith quipped fifty-one years ago in her truly great performance as Miss Jane Brodie, "for those who like that sort of thing, that is the sort of thing they like."
    If you watched the show, this is like an enjoyable, two-hour second finale. If you didn’t watch the show, it would probably still be decent, but quite as good.
    My wife and I enjoyed the original series and saved it for Friday nights. We just watched the movie online (on Friday night) and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was great seeing the cast again and even hearing the soundtrack brought back great memories. Well Done!
    It was beautiful to watch. The actors are perfect. So glad it was familiar faces as well as some new. Takes you away for the 2 hours. I hope there will be a second movie.
    It was fun, but a bit predictable, and a little too happy downstairs staff.