EMMA.

Beautiful. Hilarious. Couldn't have been better.
    Full Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    This was a clever, artistic adaptation of a classic. I thought this actress portrayed Emma wonderfully, and subtleties like family dynamic shone. My one caveat was the bizarre soundtrack. Straight from period piano pieces to folksy, almost Americana a capella tunes. It was off-putting. Still, my favorite Emma so far!
    Full Star IconHalf Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    If you're a fan of the Kiera Knightley film adaptation of pride and prejudice, you may like this. However if you've already seen the BBC series of Emma from 2009, don't waste your time with this one. I managed to sit through 20 minutes of awkward conversations and over gentrified Highbury shops, but like the 2005 P&P I won't be coming back to it. When will these film makers spend time on the books they're adapting!
    Full Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    The most unfunny comedy and an utterly boring film. A waste of Bill Nighy's talent. Even my wife who loves period drama turned this off.
    Full Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconHalf Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    Quite charming with a warm heart and a delectable sense of humor. The film is an enormous delight to look at, every frame a collective ensemble bursting with gorgeous color, detail, and character. The cast is equally as harmonious and consistent, all delivering beautifully committed performances notably accentuated by a tremendous variety of purposeful facial expressions, photographed mostly with full-face camera angles and close-up shots, that deliberately complement the emotions and dialogue. Admittedly, there were times in the film when I was more fascinated by all the movements and shapes undertaken by the characters' faces than I was in what they were actually saying. That being said, the movie is a bit slow yet not slow enough to diminish its charm. Overall a tasteful blend of wit and humor...very likeable...solid...simply a well-done feel-good romantic period film.
    Full Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    So disappointing- I loved the Gweneth Paltrow version & had high hopes for this one, but I absolutely hated this version. The actress who played Emma came off so smug & entitled- completely unlikable (or interesting & complex). The pace of the movie was utterly tedious, but the costumes were fabulous. Don’t waste your time. So bad my friend & I actually walked out of the movie. 👎🏼
    Mixes the old with the new extremely well. A great telling if a great novel
    Full Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    I really wanted to love this. I was a big fan of the Gwyneth Paltrow (Shakespeare in Love) version. I love Clueless and I'm a big fan of Anya Taylor Joy (Split). And I did enjoy it I just feel like it didn't do much that gave it much of it's own personality. That being said there's a lot of fun here. Anya Taylor Joy is great in the lead and Bill Nighy is solid as her father. The other players don't command much attention and mostly its business as usual. The movie is colorful and the cinematography is bright and delicate. I just wish the movie didn't take itself as seriously because it could have used a winking eye. 3.25/5
    Full Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    It may be more interesting than watching the fish swim about in your aquarium. Maybe.
    I like the cinematography. I like viewing Emma and comparing to the other adaptations. I think that I like Gweneth Paltrow’s version better, but this was a good and delightful one.