Godzilla vs. Kong

Very fun. One of the better Godzilla movies although it’s more of a Kong movie.
    I can't believe it's not Michael Bay™ Insultingly shallow, but you can't argue that it's entertainment.
    I enjoyed both Godzilla and, much to my surprise, Kong. I was a little concerned that this one might be cheesy based on the trailer and I was right. Very cheesy, shallow plot. A huge dropoff from the initial movie from each of the two combatants.
    The thing about Versus Movies, and crossovers in general, is this: While featuring multiple beloved, usually separate characters in a single movie widens the potential audience, you also risk upsetting the fans of one character if you end up focusing too much on the other one. That's what this movie does. It may be called Godzilla vs Kong, but I can't for the life of me figure out why. Godzilla may get top billing in the title, but there are only about three scenes where he's on screen, and only one of those doesn't feature Kong. The majority of the rest of the movie is spent following the big ape's escapades. Don't be mistaken: This isn't Godzilla vs Kong, this is "Kong 2 (also starring Godzilla)". I wouldn't have even had a problem with them making Godzilla the villain in this movie (even if it would have been incosistent with the previous one), but they don't even do that. Godzilla ends up feeling like a supporting character in a movie that - may I remind you - has his name as the first word in the title! But speaking of villains and the previous movie, that's GvK's second big problem: As a follow-up to 2019's King of The Monsters, and a culminating crossover movie for the MonsterVerse, this feels weirdly small. Say what you want about KOTM, but at least that movie had clear stakes: An apocalypse level event of Titans running amuck all over Earth, instigated by a three-headed dragon from outer space. The threat in this movie is...some guy building Mechagodzilla. Not even to conquer Earth or anything, just as a sort of safety measure for humanity to defend against Godzilla and other Titans. And said Mecha isn't even really a threat for most of the movie, because they don't have enough power for it! And once it does get powered up, it conveniently overloads and goes haywire, just in time for Godzilla and Kong to team up and beat it. But up until that point, the movie didn't feel like there was some kind of immediate threat. Don't get me wrong, it's still a nice popcorn flick for fans of monster movies. I don't regret watching it, and the action scenes are probably the best so far in the MV, if only for the fact that they don't obscure the fights with rain or snow or fog. the movie looks great, and when it's fun, it's really fun. The problem is just that it didn't feel like a Godzilla movie, a big culmination movie, or even a Versus movie. It might have worked better if they had done this movie as the third one after Godzilla 2014 and Kong Skull Island, and they have King of The Monsters as the big "finale", only now with Kong (and maybe Mechagodzilla) involved.
    The Movie is bad. The part of King Kong speaking sign language is so messed up, the Mechagodzilla is putrid, and the actors do not fit the characters so well, but the special effects are good.
    The best "Monsterverse" film by a wide margin, Godzilla vs Kong is by no means a thought provoking film, but it more than makes up for that with impressive monster action. Godzilla and Kong are both visually stunning and surprisingly better characterized than most of the characters in the film. Action set pieces are phenomenal and impactful, filmed incredibly to capture the colossal spectacle. The film is just self aware enough to know that this is what audiences want from the film. However, due to the nature of the film, the writing is the least focused on and the most detracting part. The human characters are terrible, for the most part, the story makes very little sense and the lore isn't well enough expanded. Dialogue is also pretty bad, though performances by the cast are serviceable. The film weaves together several side plots to include these characters, and they largely fall flat. 7.2/10
    There are some plot holes but if you can look past them it's a terrific crossover fun of nods to the franchise.
    Be sure to watch it in 4k UHD if you can. The visuals were very impressive. Lots of interesting detail, and lots of dark scenes where everything was clear; nothing was murky. I'll go out on a limb and call this movie a good showcase of how good 4K UHD can look. Another highlight was the main reason for watching a Godzilla movie -- the battle and destruction scenes. They were impressive and very satisfying. If you like a good smash-em-up, this movie is for you. Now as for the plot, well..... meh. Lots and lots of mumbo jumbo about conspiracy theories. Millie Bobby Brown being surprisingly unremarkable. A touching moment between King Kong and a little girl. And you won't believe what that little girl taught him. Frankly, I've already forgotten much of the human plot elements less than an hour after watching it. They're just place-holders; they don't really matter. This movie is about monsters going smash, and on that level it's a good one.
    Better than the horrible King of the Monsters, however it suffers from serious plot hole / timeline issues, I.e. the arc of the Directors daughter is fraught with inconsistencies. The CGI battles, whilst beautiful to look at, become feel limited in scope and repetitive.
    Pretty much just crap eye candy. They're taking too many liberties with the canon of these beasties and the people are completely disposable. This Monsterverse is going nowhere, fast.