Harriet

Story that needs to be told but found this production poorly done. Was so excited to see this but the acting and directing was underwhelming. Would watch another production any time hoping it would do this amazing woman's story justice.
    Excellent Biography of Harriet Tubman that doesn't shy away from the Christian part of her Character.
    Not sure why anyone likes this film. It's poorly acted, the plot is loose and incongruous. It's too long and essentially goes nowhere. Characters are introduced and then abandoned. Not a good movie and even the history it tries to recreate is ignored.
    A tale of hope and unwavering courage of one of America's most revered hero's. A must see.
    It’s a good movie but I feel that better directing could have lead to more dramatic performances. I got tired of seeing people trip over stumps in the woods. There are probably documented accounts of more treacherous challenges than stumps. It was way to happy ending orientated rather than build on the reality of the hardships these folks endured. This production felt more Hallmark movie than major epic. The gravity of escaping human indignity was lost in expected self congratulation of the movie rather than make it the best movie it could be.
    Despite the best efforts of a career-best display of acting from Cynthia Erivo, Harriet falls well short of giving the credit deserved to its subject. The screenplay is written to cover a lengthy timeframe of the protagonists life, but lazily and disappointingly without going into any depth to truly chronicle her challenges and triumphs and take us along on that journey. This is one movie I actually hope is remade, and remade with real purpose and in better quality, someday.
    What a poorly written movie. So full of melodrama when just the facts would have been enough. I'd rather have watched with no talking and just learned the history . So many inconsistencies, such as using modern idiomatic language and phrasing that doesn't fit with the time period. Throwing in, rather gratuitously, using the "N" word every so often.
    Harriet Tubman was truly instrumental in helping slaves seek freedom. This high budget movie portrays her in a fictional way not in touch with reality. Kasi Lemmons film is just another remake of so many underground railroad films nothing new. On the reality level somewhat better than Abe Lincoln Vampire Hunter.
    It's a biopic. So as you can probably already guess, this is all about the life of Harriet Tubman (Cynthia Erivo). She not only escaped slavery and freed herself, but she also came back to the South to assist many more slaves seeking freedom on the Underground Railroad. Now this one came and went pretty quietly all things considered. There were a few award nominations and wins gained along the way, but that isn't necessarily saying anything; slavery movies have a strong history with getting recognized with awards, and I think that more often than not, it is just a means to appease white guilt. Everything that I had seen leading up to watching this seemed like this was Oscar bait, and this is just a very standard and straightforward biographical story. Now I am not a historian, so I cannot speak to historical accuracies and inaccuracies here. However, I would venture to place a bet and say that Harriet Tubman did not have super abilities. I don't know if this was inspired by the superhero craze that has been going on for over a decade now, but here, they give Harriet the gift of second sight. They help define it by saying that she was walking with God, but it is a superpower for all intents and purposes, as she will drift into a fugue state and see the future. It is almost like Erivo has a similar ability that she has in The Outsider, which was just about the last thing I was expecting out of this. If you take that piece out of the equation, this is about as formulaic as these biopics get. It is a black struggle movie, and it doesn't do anything new. It seems very studio, very "by committee" and very Hollywood, which does make it feel a bit inauthentic. There will be scenes that you can tell how they're going to end as soon as they start. For example, if you're being chased and you're cornered on a bridge, can you map out how this scene is going to resolve itself? I do feel like I can't be too hard on this movie because the intentions are good and I suppose if you knew nothing about Harriet Tubman, this could be inspiring. I did like Cynthia Erivo for the part, and she does deliver some impassioned monologues that are rousing. I do, however, wish she as cast in a better production, because so much of this falls flat. It does reach a point where you feel like you can half-watch it and still be able to follow along, which does speak to this movie's engagement levels. 12 Years a Slave is still the best in its class of movies like this, and it is more deserving of your time.
    You know a movie like this will always get excellent reviews regardless of how good it actually is. As entertainment, the movie is just okay. The characters are caricatures. They don't feel like real people. Shallow instead of deep. The real Harriet was a genuine hero and the movie makes that very clear. I just wish I could have seen her soul.