In the Heights

, 96% Certified Fresh Tomatometer Score
  • Lights up for In the Heights, a joyous celebration of heritage and community fueled by dazzling direction and singalong songs.
    Linda MarricThe Jewish Chronicle
    Miranda mixes hip hop flavours with latin beats to give us a gorgeously layered and robustly performed love letter to Latin America and its people.
    Danny LeighFinancial Times
    They don't make 'em like this any more, truly. For just a second, even those among you who won't be seeing this anyway might wish they did.
  • , Fresh Tomatometer Score
    Angie HanFilmWeek (KPCC - NPR Los Angeles)
    From top to bottom, I had such a good time with this.
  • , Fresh Tomatometer Score
    Tim CogshellFilmWeek (KPCC - NPR Los Angeles)
    It's all very much in the shape of that era of [the musical] Rent that has been upon us for about 20 years now.
    K. Austin CollinsRolling Stone
    Its highest accomplishment is that it succeeds as the star vehicle Hollywood seemed to demand: Ramos, Grace, Barrera, Merediz, Diaz -- the world will be hungry for more of them. And soon.
  • , Rotten Tomatometer Score
    John AndersonAmerica Magazine
    Why are the visuals so relentlessly static, and boring? Why doesn't the movie soar away from the stage, doing what film versions of stage shows are supposed to do - broaden, rather than strangle, the virtues of the material?
    Luke ParkerVoiceBoxOffice
    In The Heights puts the pop back in popcorn, as in, "go to the theater, eat some popcorn, and watch this movie."
    Dan MurrellDan Murrell Reviews
    My favorite movie of the year so far. This proves why we can't lose the big screen experience.
    Pablo O. ScholzClarín
    [The songs] are equally wonderful... The dramatic weight, or the story of the movie In the Heights if you like, is negligible. [Full review in Spanish]
    Ray PrideNewcity
    Chu plays it cool... expressively explores the inexpressibility of home. (That home is America.)