Jay and Silent Bob Reboot

It might rely too heavily on fan service, but who else could this be for? The View Askewniverse might have more in it than the titular characters, but much like Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back - this is only for the hardcore fans. It leaps from cameo to cameo, pointing at previous work and inside-jokes. So why would a new watcher expect to get anything from this? For what it's worth, I enjoyed it. I like Smith's work and I enjoy the characters. Objectively is it good? Not particularly. Does that matter? Not particularly.
    Kevin Smith's return to the modern cinematic universe that predates THE modern cinematic universe isn't as consistently funny as some of those films. Our titular duo's schtick can get quite annoying, some of their jokes can get quite cringy or in bad taste and the LARGE number of celebrity cameos and guest stars can come off as overly pandering. Good thing I like the View Askewniverse. For fans of the universe that made Kevin Smith famous, Jay and Silent Bob Reboot does a good job both taking jabs at the changing Hollywood landscape since Clerks II and warming hearts of fanbases with all the callbacks that make us feel like we're seeing old friends again. The jokes hit for the most part, especially the self-deprecating ones (doesn't get more self-deprecating than casting your daughter as your co-star and lifelong friend's daughter seeing how she looks more like Jason Mewes' daughter than Kevin Smith's), the updates on characters from Mallrats and Chasing Amy were funny & heartwarming, respectively and there's even some surprisingly good more dramatoc acting. While perhaps I would have liked Jay and Silent Bob Reboot more had I still retained the mindset I had in 2017, I still found it, for the most part, good to see these two pottymouthed, loitering stoners again.
    Disappointingly, it's a bad movie. Full disclosure: I am (was?) a Kevin Smith fan up to Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back. Before watching this movie I re-watched Dogma and J&SBSB to get back into the Askewniverse headspace and to remind myself of the in-jokes. In short, I wanted to like this movie. I tried to like this movie... But it's just bad. Not only in a personal opinion type of way, but also it's an objectively bad movie. The story/plot is directly lifted from the previous movie, Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back, of 18 years prior (which Smith openly admits), and it isn't done in any clever way. It's really just the exact same story again, only with a few new characters clumsily thrown in, which actually serve to make it messier than it needed to be (including what feels like very forced diversity in the form of new additions "Jihad" - yes, seriously - and "Shan Yu"). The dialogue is again, just a rehash of the same old jokes, which now feel very much 18 years old. Imagine a crude joke you heard 18 years ago and was run into the ground. Now imagine someone telling you that same crude joke again today. Few things are more perishable than comedy & jokes. There's a big difference between a knowing wink to the fans, and simply repeating the same jokes over and over to the point you start to hate them. The cast range between looking lost, looking glad they got some work because you haven't seen them in the last 2 decades, or looking bored because Kevin Smith guilted them into appearing after he suffered a heart attack shortly before the filming of this movie. The end result sees more than a few scenes that feel disjointed, stale and forced; that were clearly shot at different times and were roughly edited into the movie later. Harley Quinn Smith should absolutely be in this movie, because if her dad can't give her roles, who will? However, she's just not very good, which is a shame. Hopefully she'll grow into herself, but at the moment she comes across as a bit awkward and lacks confidence. As for the eponymous leads, there is something very sad about seeing a very middle-aged, very shopworn Jay & Silent Bob wearing the same old clothes and spouting the same old jokes (and Jay especially looks like someone who's been on spring break for 37 years). An unoriginal story that adds nothing new, scenes that feel disjointed and shot with no energy, cameos from people who look bored, and dialogue you've heard before. This movie simply doesn't justify its own existence and actually made me view the previous movies in a different light (was it always so deliberately, crudely immature?). It's the cinematic equivalent of dating an ex-girlfriend, then realizing why you broke up 18 years ago while you're on the date. Sometimes it's best to leave the past in the past and just look back on fond memories.
    I LOVED it! Lotta the haters I see, even some admit it, got out of touch crying about what exactly makes Kevin Smith. Lmao. The daughter stuff, Ben Affleck & Stan Lee cameos.. Yes, there's fan service, corny comedy but so what! It's a stoner movie of nostalgia. I mean my god.. err Alanis Morrisette.
    Finally seen on Amazon Prime Video. But had to buy it in HD. Would have wanted to see it in cinema 2 years ago but limited release and not AT Cineworld or Odeon. It was ok. References to Kevin's old movies.
    This is exactly as I imagined it
    Jay and Silent Bob return for the fans with a nostalgic throwback trip. It's cameo central with some big names turning up to make it enjoyable and easy viewing. It should be high on your laugh list.
    Why couldn't he just die from his major heart attack and just leave us alone
    I think I would have liked this a whole lot more had it actually been multiple years since I had seen the last View Askewniverse movie. I hadn't worked up enough nostalgia for the relatively cheap, low-quality puns & self-referential jokes to pay off and this movie consists almost exclusively of those two things. The most interesting part of the movie for me was seeing how advanced Mewes looked in age after his lengthy stint of drug abuse, though they seem to have obscured it a bit compared to his picture on Wikipedia. The inclusion of Kevin's daughter would've been a good one had she not been cast as the leading lady as it felt very much like the nepotism that Kevin's other character in the movie says he dislikes. I did like that they brought Rosario back as she was the highlight of Clerks II and some of the other cameos were solid. The entire KKK scene felt unnecessary and forced and like an excuse to make some more jokes that didn't further the plot. Having been able to cast Ferrell in a reprisal of his Strike Back role would've saved the movie, but alas, it was not meant to be. Hopefully Clerks III is better!
    I can't believe the audience score is so high on this, it was terrible! Nothing was funny, the story was just dumb. It seemed like just a money grab that they threw together overnight. I'm shocked that anyone really liked this movie.