Jojo Rabbit

One of the funniest most endearing films of the past year. The cast and story are amazing. It’s excellently directed and the jokes are grim and hilarious. 2019 was a good year for black comedies.
    WWII in the eyes of a child. Brilliantly written and executed.
    One of the best movies to come out in the last few years. I cried, laughed, empathized, and even learned new things (did you know "paper uniforms" were a real thing?!)... what more could you want from a film? All the actors play their parts with passion; I couldn't think of a better cast. Absolutely brilliant, the cinematography is beautiful, and the soundtrack was perfectly designed as well!
    Half Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    As the saying goes "to soon." Wanted to like this but found it indulgent and stupid.
    Full Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    7.75/10. Taika Waititi's eccentric brand of mixing heart and humor is on full display in 'JoJo Rabbit.' He writes, directs, and stars in this picture - I wouldn't discourage someone who hasn't been a fan of his work from watching, but it has his fingerprints all over it, so you know what to expect. It is filled with youthful spirit and sweetness, derived from the performances of its young leads; Roman Griffin Davis is JoJo, a scrappy runt determined to climb the ranks of the Hitler Youth who is surprised to find a mysterious young jewish girl named Elsa, played by Thomasin McKenzie, living in his walls. Though he does his best to be a model, hateful Nazi, JoJo can't overcome his curiosity as he begins learning about Elsa (though he justifies his getting to know her as reconnaissance). He is a boy in search of identity, and though he started finding one in the Hitler Youth movement, it had not been fully baked into his being – Elsa, and his interactions with his friends and leaders of the Hitler Youth, often leave him in a place of contradicting feelings and beliefs as he attempts to reconcile the hate he has learned with the gentle kindness he feels in his heart. Davis and McKenzie sell this journey of self-discovery with ranging performances that brim with sincerity, humor, fear, and hope. They are supported by some great performances from the adults in the cast, particularly Scarlett Johannsen as JoJo's secretly-Nazi-hating mother, Sam Rockwell who portrays the Nazi offer that leads the Hitler Youth, and Waititi as JoJo's imaginary friend, Hitler. It is a bit problematic, especially in our current cultural context, that Nazis are portrayed in such humorous manner, but it's worth noting the undercurrent of devastation and fear that lies hardly beneath the surface, especially whenever we see Elsa come out of the wall, or in some later anxiety-fueling scenes where Nazis come to JoJo's house to find Elsa. Waititi may make rib on some prominent Nazi figures and the absurd cruelty of their ideology, but he never makes light of the horrors that their victims endured. It is that constant shadow of atrocity that grounds this comedy, and what makes JoJo's quest for identity all the more satisfying by film's end. It certainly has Waititi's (arguably, and I'd argue against this characterization) over-the-top stamp on it, but it also has a likeable cast, a good heart, and a message that is in these times certainly worth hearing.
    the only thing I knew about Jojo Rabbit prior to watching it was that it had been Oscar-nominated for best picture. here's my review: Jojo Rabbit is a fresh, creative take on the WW2 film genre. it conveys a message of love overcoming hate + challenging perspectives, with a clever & darkly funny screenplay that highlights the absurdity + devastation of the Nazi ideology/propaganda/war. Jojo's charming naïveté and lighthearted moments were a juxtaposition to the heaviness of the subject matter. yet this contrast worked and was full of intentionality, making the film's message even more impactful. vibrant and whimsically-coloured backdrops were a refreshing, visually appealing step away from the dreary colour palette of other WW2 films. the Hitler youth training camp scene in particular reminded me of Wes Anderson's Moonrise Kingdom. finally, first-time actor Roman Griffin Davis did a wonderful job anchoring the story — his performance successfully managed to make a 10-year-old Nazi boy endearing! Scarlett Johansson and the rest of the cast were great too and they all nailed their German accents (with the exception of Rebel Wilson — but as always, she was cast to provide comedic relief (and she delivered), so she's forgiven). Taika Waititi, the director who also doubled as Hitler, was, dare I say it, fun. attempting to make a comedic film about the tragedy of WW2 could have gone wrong in many ways, but Taika defied expectations, presenting us with a stirring blend of sweetness, satire, sobriety & sadness. to conclude: I think this is officially one of my favourite films and it's certified fresh 🍅 by me. 😋
    Great movie, lots of laughs, no one ever did such a good job criticizing the Nazis like Taika Waiting, best movie of the year!
    Say what you want about this movie but Jojo Rabbit is a unique take of a kid who wants to be part of the Nazi Youth. Despite not getting there, he still has his imaginary friend Adolf. But once he meet a Jewish girl in the basement, Jojo struggles with his ideology and his friendship with the girl. I love this movie because of the acting, directing and writing. Overall, Jojo Rabbit is the kind of movie we needed in 2019.
    The sound and camera really situate you in a childs eyes. Shot mostly from the boys height. Full of foreshadowing. Impactful use of selective quiet. I can understand some people hating this film because its a certain taste, but I loved it.
    Full Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconHalf Star Icon
    This movie is hilarious thanks to its terrific acting and editing. The music, the set pieces, and the comedy made it feel like a Wes Anderson film but the cinematography and concept made it feel much darker (which was perfectly fine). Everything from the writing, acting, and production design and much more were terrific. I didn't know that a movie as funny as this could have so much emotional depth. The movie loses its comedy and funny side in the second act of the film, but then it regains its momentum in the end. This movie is well-written and hilarious, anyone who enjoys a good laugh should watch this movie (if they're not offended by Adolf Hitler and the Nazi party).