Kind Hearts and Coronets

One of the best black and whites I've seen. Simple but engrossing plot. A noble psychopath charms his way to his dukedom with some great dark humour along the way.
    Guinness' ability to creatively, politely, and methodically exterminate his own family (who are all, in actuality, himself) citing a personal slight, only to extend his efforts to others when convenience calls for it and to face his ultimate threat through hubris and completely unrelated events, represents a uniquely British sense of humor.
    Multiple nice performances, led by Sir Alec Guinness' masterful performances and Dennis Price in his prime, fit in nicely with a script drenched in typical British witty humor.
    A favourite of ours. Louis and his mum are shunned by the rich relatives as mum married for love, and beneath her. After her death Louis vows to get his revenge and to destroy the aristocratic family. Alec Guinness is absolutely fabulous in this film, as is Dennis Price. For a film made in 1949, the humour is as funny today My favourite scene is the photographer relative who, whilst Louis and the photographer's wife are elegantly enjoying tea on the lawn, is quietly and discreetly blown up in his ‘dark room' hut in the distance. Not to forget the ironic twist at the end.
    It's a classic featuring the talent of Alec Guinness.
    Very british. More ironic than funny, but it has certain point to see all these poignant souls killing each other, and Alec Guinness dying 6-8 times.
    Sublimely written, and the subject matter means that it hasn’t aged in the way a contemporary comedy might. Very darkly funny.
    A black comedy about classicism and the murder of the aristocracy played for laughs was always going to be up my alley. The added brilliance of Guinness and Price only sweeten the pot.
    This is now the second time I have seen Kind hearts and coronets and I can gladly say that it was even more enjoyable this time then the last. Kind hearts and coronets is a Ealing studios film directed by Robert Hamer. The film stars Alec Guinness as many characters, but his biggest role was Young Ascoyne the main character of the film. The cast I thought did a really good job, but Alec Guinness was exemplary playing more then one character extremely well especially his portrayal of Young Ascoyne. The characters were done really well and enjoyable to watch. I really liked how Alec Guinness's characters all had different personality's which really helped with the atmosphere of the film. The cinematography was very good and fit very nicely with the style of the film. The set design and props really put you into the movie from the building designs to the various sets. The costume design fits perfectly with the era and helps with the atmosphere of the film. The style of the film I personally really like from the way the characters act to the comedy of the film. The action in the film though not much is still done very well from using Bombs in food to using poison in a drink. The dialogue is also very good from the eloquent delivery to the very well written script. The film also has some music, but most of it is only played for a short while and is mostly played in the background. The story follows a young boy Ascoyne who's mother a member of a family of dukes dies wanting to be buried in the family vault, but the family won't allow it since she married someone they thought beneath them. So to get his mother buried in the family vault he seeks out to kill the rest of his family to become duke. The comedy in my opinion works really well from the subtle comedy to the front and centre comedy. The film also has a really good atmosphere especially toward the end. The film in my opinion is also really enjoyable and one that I will be watching again very soon. The film does have maybe one or two mistakes, but they don't take away that much. Over all I give it a 10/10 - one of the best
    In a devious sort of way, this 1949 classic caper captures a very specific, yet intoxicating sort of nihilistic satisfaction in a bottle. As the audience watches the undeniably warped protagonist commit all of these crimes in the name of his own vengeance against the nobles-that-be, we definitely feel that what he's doing is wrong. But we're still undoubtedly fascinated to see where things will go. Indeed, more contemporary works like "Nightcrawler," "There Will Be Blood," "House Of Cards," and even "Taxi Driver" owe a certain amount of credit to how well things worked out for a narrative with this kind of audacity back in the day. Every plot element in "Kind Hearts And Coronets" is intricately laid out, with real intention emanating from the events as they unfold. I only wish the film's admittedly intermittent tone of sardonicism was as consistently impressive as the plotting work. Overall though, a fairly successful tale of depravity and duplicity.