Little Joe

I liked the story but the sound engineer should be slapped. The "background" "music" was ridiculously loud and heinous. There were times that it seemed the movie was just there to complement the crazy migraine-inducing high pitched strains coupled with random drums and twangy instruments from around the world with tortured dogs barking as lead vocals. It was at times too distracting from the movie to pay attention to what was going on, but maybe that's what they were trying to do. If so, well done. I did love all the 90s-looking colors in the film, it was beautiful to look at and again, I think I enjoyed the story but I can't get past that soundtrack.
    I was taken by the aesthetics of it, but the slow pace, and the uninteresting story really killed all the joy throughout the watch.
    Ugh... I really wanted to like this one. I'm obsessed with Ben; he's such a babe. And the premise intrigued the hell out of me. But, as I often find, watching über-slow, jarringly-scored, unnecessarily-chromatic independent films like this one can be such a drag. Palme d'Or? More like Palme d'Bore.... 🥱
    Drab and suspenseless. Dripping in clichès, the theme of it has been explored a number of times before in „The Invasion of the Body Snatchers" and „Day of the Triffids" amongst others. In case your did not know that those fake looking plants were not somehow eerie, the score tells you… another cliché in its own right, some cheap dissonant squealy noise that would set in whenever the plants are in view of the camera. When the end limps into view, you rub your eyes in disbelief that you wasted 105 minutes of your life on this. Script, acting, direction, set design, it is all around awful. And pointless. Watch another „plant takes over the world" film, any other.
    Bad watch, not watching again, and can not recommend. Firstly, I was shocked to see this was made in 2019, I thought it was from around 2014. The movie is PHYSICALLY hard to watch. As some movies do background tracks, this movie does a "foreground" track to sort of alert you that something is happening and condition you to expect things from the sound queue. It wouldn't be so bad but even when it supposed to be subtle for some reason it's at double volume to the rest of the movie. For all you that wanted a sequel to "The Happening" (sadly, I actually like that movie), there is a well written can we figure out this problem before we're all infected plot. It's a little bit of each: "The Happening", "Body Snatchers", and "Helix". It's a really interesting story that I'd like someone to reboot with more flair and technical expertise. And no one who can, will, because it's about PLANTS!
    What's with the traditional Japanese music? Stop with the Japanophile stuff. Doesn't even go with the movie/story. Tried too hard to be stylish and it shows.
    A movie about becoming flat shouldn’t start that way. There needs to be a landing. So before that there has to be some kind of flight. The idea is brilliant. The start to finish movie is tone deaf. I tried to love it. It’s just not my little joe.
    This sci-fi/psychological thriller about a research horticulturist who breeds a plant designed to help promote feelings of human happiness and well-being (and subsequently has second thoughts about her creation when it begins to have unexpected effects) prompts a plethora of questions about what promotes and constitutes true happiness. This botanical terrestrial homage to "Invasion of the Body Snatchers," mixed with a variety of other influences (including some that will seem eerily relevant at the moment), gives us much profound food for thought. However, director Jessica Hausner's execution is needlessly muddled by painfully slow pacing, robbing viewers of the happiness that should naturally come from watching a good film. There was a lot of potential here, both for a captivating tale and a thoughtful psychological/metaphysical exploration, but, regrettably, those elements became bogged down by a heavy hand when a lighter touch would have sufficed.
    Whoever was in charge of the music score really needs to go back and relearn how to, what kind and where to place the background music in film, because this is a 1 hour and 45 minute tutorial on how not to.
    Visually potent with a stirring avant-garde score. Moves at a slow pace, which is entirely appropriate for a movie about plants!