Motherless Brooklyn

Edward Norton, I don't care if you're hard to work with, if this is your end result, then I salute you. 9/10.
    Full Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconHalf Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    Edward Norton's vision for Motherless Brooklyn must be commended. The change in timeline from 1999 in the novel to the 1950's in the film to produce this as a neo-noir mystery film is everything. The set and production design, lighting and outstanding music score were not only wonderfully amalgamated, but actually suited the story to be told at the slower pace it unfolds. After watching Motherless Brooklyn, I highly recommend reading about the real-life figure that Alec Baldwin represented. My appreciation for the story grew furthermore.
    Really intriguing and smart movie, well worth the long run time and a real brainy storyline, love the movie 🍿
    Half Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    I might be halfway through the movie and don't get the plot at all. The actor with the tics or autism is annoying to watch and listen to. I'm going to continue watching since my husband like's the gangster genre and wants to see where it's going.
    Half Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    In NO WAY should this movie have an 80% score. It's mind-dumbingly awful from start to finish. 2 1/2 hours of slow nonsense with no direction or purpose. Norton was great. Other than that, a complete waste of time. Terrible and boring!
    Full Star IconFull Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    I rented this because I like Ed Norton (plus Willem Defoe and Alec Baldwin are good), and the reviews were good. It was too long. And the story didn't interest me ENOUGH, though I watched whole thing because I liked Lionel, the main character, and I wanted to see what would happen. But not a movie I would buy or recommend.
    Full Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    Motherless Brooklyn: Ambitous and imposing in narrative length may be off-putting for many, but for those who stick out may marvel at Nortan’s unique quirks and well handled direction for the first time writer/director. Flawed but ambitous cinema.
    Full Star IconFull Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    A lot of money spent on this production. Shame some of it wasn't spent on a better director. It's a bit of a mess.
    Full Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    Middle of the road genre film whose script doesn't really elicit enough sympathy for it's characters to justify the bloated running time.
    The setup is that I was a rat on the wall in a pool hall thinking I got too smoked up from secondhand listening a bunch of kooks talk shop only to find out later that I needed them back to ask questions since I wasn't smart enough to follow the action as it happened. It was at this moment that I turned on Motherless Brooklyn. The characters were outdone only by the refusal to shoot anywhere but on-location.