News of the World

The story and the acting are brilliant. Tom Hanks is his normal awesome self.
    It was slow but loved the movie
    Shot beautifully... definitely passed the time
    Good movie all in all. It moves a little slow at times, but Tom Hanks does Tom Hanks things and makes this a good watch.
    Really enjoyed the story...both Tom Hanks and the young actress playing Johanna were outstanding. Good view of how things were in the 1870's....& the scenery shots were well done.
    The Western is a proud American tradition, with productions ranging from cheap pulp serials to some of the great cinematic classics. Among this vast catalog, News of the World is ... pretty darn average. Largely predictable, often naive, drenched in sentimentality and emotional conflict that isn't particularly novel. There's competent production value and Hanks is a national treasure that is disliked by exactly zero people, but the film struggles to create (and much less keep up) much of a sense of suspense through most of the protagonists' encounters, which are often pretty disconnected and don't contribute to much character development. The film tries to portray Hanks' character as some sort of emotionally tortured survivor, but seldom even mentions these features before trying to hoist the resolution to this conflict as some sort of revelation. There's echoes of the John Wayne classic The Searchers in the plot, but none of the thematic depth or clever cinematography. It's not a bad film and caters to fans of the genre who crave the simplicity of '50s/60s predecessors. (3/5)
    My wife loved the book, Tom Hanks is great, but this one just did not do it for us. Helena Zengel did a nice job in her debut as Johanna. Tom Hanks was fine, but the screenplay left plenty to be desired. It did drag on so. Guess I should read the book.
    I don't know how this thing is getting this high of a score. I've sat through many of Tom Hank's long drawn out movies. But let's face it. They were great. But this show was soooo boring. I caught myself falling 😴 asleep. It's worth watching once. But a waste of money for me. wish I'd waited for Redbox
    It was a great movie of dedication to oneself in delivering the child that he somehow felt responsible for. He became her protector and mentor, and eventually her parent. We loved it, such a compelling movie.
    Excellent film. Remember all the great movies of the 1990's and how movies have pretty much sucked for the past 20 years ? This is like a gem right out of the 1980's and 90's. You will not be disappointed.