Onlookers

, 67% Fresh Tomatometer Score
    Glenn KennyRogerEbert.com
    I myself got enough out of “Onlookers” that I don’t ultimately feel it belongs in the “For Avant-Garde Documentary Lovers” category exclusively.
    Ben KenigsbergNew York Times
    This is a concept in search of a movie, and an academic exercise that doesn’t give observers much to work with.
    Dennis Harvey48 Hills
    The result is an intriguing if curiously neutral essay from which you can draw your own conclusions…or none at all.
    Christopher Llewellyn ReedFilm Festival Today
    It’s people-watching, but with a twist: they could just as easily swap places with us, extending the conceit and turning our mundane lives into spectacle, too. Reality is endlessly cinematic.
    Christopher CampbellNonfics
    Takes voyeurism to a new level.
    Avi OfferNYC Movie Guru
    Meditative, immersive and poetic.
    Zachary GoldkindIn Review Online
    With everything here pitched as a signifier of the exact same thing, and the signified remaining woefully ignorant to the introduced contexts, Onlookers is a tired echo of polemics long abstracted into the institutionalized nether.

C.J. PrinceThe Film Stage
    There’s plenty going on within Takesue’s latest film––all looked at with a sense of curiosity and bemusement––but in the end there’s very little to take away.
    Benjamin FranzFilm Threat
    Natural light, loads of wild sound, and the environment of Laos are presented plainly with zero artifices or embellishments. If you're looking for a new kind of travel film, this is for you.