Onward

Full Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    Cute, conceptually and emotionally rich adventures with a twist, brought to you by the folks who've basically built an industry of such stories. I speak of Team Pixar, of course, which harvests the fruit of high fantasy and pleases all manner of D&D geeks with their latest epic. Onward is about a number of things, from the illusion-crushing indifference of post-industrialization to the stress of graduating into adulthood in a single-parent household, but it's never so heavy as all that. At least, not for very long. For most of its running time, Onward is a loud and loose road trip movie: a pair of essentially different siblings on the run, exploring the wild in search of the past. What shape the past happens to take, that depends upon the individual. Chris Pratt's elder brother, the live-at-home RPG burnout, seeks a taste of the old life, a genuine sense of romantic swords and sorcery in a world that's almost entirely moved on. Tom Holland, the uncertain soon-to-be high school grad, hopes to learn about the father he never met and, maybe, find himself along the way. Did I mention the half-reincarnated, animated lower-half of their dear ol' dad, blindly stumbling along for the ride? Well, that relates to both goals. Pratt and Holland are great together, poking and teasing like brothers often do, while retaining a sense of radiant familial warmth and compassion. Dad's legs, shockingly emotive for what's little more than a pair of slacks, socks and loafers, bring constant comic relief when the scenes threaten to grow too somber. It's a quick, colorful film, proudly weird and effortlessly funny, with a witty sense of meta awareness and an intense personal message at the heart of it all. Good proof that, even without John Lasseter, Pixar is still in good hands.
    I loved it so much I watched it at night and then in the morning. Such a feel good movie! Disney and Pixar never fail to impress me.
    Full Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    Pretty solid movie, it has an good start with an entertaining fun-packed middle part and a heartwarming ending.
    Full Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    I love Chris Pratt but his voice didn't seem to go well with this character to me, I for some reason was annoyed with his character more than I think I was supposed to be. It was a cute movie though. My 3 year old likes it.
    I absolutely loved this movie, it was wholesome and adorable. My mother absolutely loved it to we both cried while watching. I loved Barley the most but every character that we're introduced to is absolutely great in there own way and hard not to love.
    Full Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconHalf Star Icon
    It’s a really good movie to see with your kids
    Heart warming and well animated!
    Love the message and encouragement
    Full Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconHalf Star Icon
    I think it was pretty good, I enjoyed the plot and the overall message and delivery. My only critique was that some points went on for a while and there wasn't really a big twist at the end.
    Our family just watched this thinking it would be another kids movie is that mom and and dad play candy crush during, but wow was I surprised this movie was excellent. It was funny heartfelt exciting and bittersweet. I definitely recommend watching this