Portrait of a Lady on Fire

Finally, a movie that actually sees women.
    If there is a more beautiful movie, I'm at a loss to tell you what it is. There are movies that can only dream of having one or two shots this pretty. Portrait has well over a dozen. And I'm not one to may much attention to costumes, so you know that if they grab MY attention, they're awfully damn good.
    A must-see. Spoiler alert: I thought that the painting where she is holding the book open on page 28 was a bit cheesy and hollywoody - but that was about it. The movie is amazing.
    A very sensual love story.
    Full Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconHalf Star Icon
    I felt that the story of this movie was very expected, but the trajectory, emotion, and choice of words separated this from being a good movie, to a great one. It's a slow film of forbidden love, two women who know each other briefly for a period of time, but become floored by each other with an intense connection that they both will carry with them forever. Until the ending sequence I felt the movie was a 7.5, pushing an 8, but the last 15-30 minutes pushed it to an easy 9 for me. Very emotional and very very very well acted. The cinematography also needs to be praised, absolutely phenomenal. This was quite a movie.
    The story line is slow, but meticulous at first. It could come off as off-putting to casual audiences, those who have the patience for subtitles because it's in French will appreciate it. It's important to remember what the movie is telling the audience. It keeps you in the moment of the story. The Actresses are incredibly stunning together. They bring life to the female gaze, art in the 18th century. A love story that has never been written and shown so beautifully. The cinematography is breathtaking like a painting with all of its stunning colors. I will never forget how exquisite this move is. I am blown away for good.
    I have never rated a movie before but this one is absolutely breathtaking such that I am compelled to rate it. This is THE most beautiful movie I have ever seen. To say anything else will spoil the story, but I really encourage anyone to watch this. Judge it for yourself.
    A gorgeous film, fantastically shot, edited, written, and possibly most of all dressed. I only wish it had more publicity and more show times so that more people could have seen it.
    As a female photographer I was already intrigued by the theme and that it would most likely give me a new perspective of the relations between object/subject and painter (photographer). I have often been puzzled by what my subjects are giving me in return by my lens solely focusing on their exterior. I would like to think that my presence made a difference. This movie captures the essence in what I want the answer to be. I fell in love with this story. The different themes are interesting in themselves but the cleverness of the storytelling, cinematography, editing and ACTING, captures you with an early inhale, and does not let go. You already know that if you watch it all over again, you will notice a connection that you missed the first time. This sensation will haunt you as you cling on to every frame, trying not to miss anything which in return, forces you to barley remember to blink. I wanted to see this movie so much I went on my own, on a work trip, with a different subtitle than my own language (luckily being a Scandinavian in another Scandinavian country, I could understand most of it). With my red wine in hand I sat there watching the story unfold while relating to the nostalgia it presented. The loss and the gift of unfulfilled love. This movie will stay with me for a long time and inspired me in ways I thought no movie could. I found myself deeply moved and tears streaming down my face as it came to an end; the two actors executed a mesmerizing performance that I will never forget. This movie is for anyone who enjoy deep meaning, a perplex view on hard questions, and a love story that makes you philosophical. What is the male gaze if you remove the male out of it? What is looking at pure love without the noise and conflict, except the conflict within fighting the nick of time, the inevitable? What will you regret? What will you cherish forever? Someone told me once that you could tell the quality of a wine bottle by reading the etiquette and what it doesn't say. This movie embodies the same principle, and because of that it is a masterpiece.
    It was a beautiful love story.