Queen & Slim

Though I’ve seen at least a dozen worse movies over the last few months, I’m not sure I’ve seen one quite as frustrating. Billed by most critics as an African-American BONNIE AND CLYDE, a more astute comparison would be with Steven Spielberg’s early film, THE SUGARLAND EXPRESS, only shined through the prism of our current racially fragmented and incendiary time. The problem is that, while our current social ills receive the performances, the cinematography, and the gravitas worthy of them in QUEEN & SLIM, they do not also benefit from a script they deserve, and that becomes more maddening as the film carries on. GET OUT’s Daniel Kaluuya and newcomer Jodie Turner-Smith are positively radiant as the leads, exuding raw, complex emotions from every pore, and first-time film director Melina Matsoukas demonstrates tremendous capability, prowess and artistic grace throughout, but it’s all hobbled by a screenplay that consistently reaches levels of almost ‘magical realism’ implausibility. Simply put, for such a vital, immediate concept which feels like it could be ripped from tomorrow’s headline, almost no plot developments that occur across this episodic, vignetted adventure feel authentic, believable or, often, even logical. As a white viewer, I have to concede that what I perceive as a state of unbelievability may be more of a testament to racial bias on my part than to any real failing on the part of the film’s writer, but in my bones, that just doesn’t feel legitimate. It’s not the internal experience of these characters that rings false (though the accelerated nature of their arcs and evolution do seem too often orchestrated, inconsistent and overly poetic) so much as the external world they weave through as they try to escape persecution for committing a crime of survival. In the end, we’re left with incredibly compelling characters populating a clumsy, concocted storyline. I will say this—whatever message QUEEN & SLIM offers for black audiences, for white ones, it’s towering virtue is the simple, dignified humanity of its characters in which it so fully marinates. It fairly vibrates with the truism that absolutely nothing important or fundamental separates the basic humanity of any of us, and I can just imagine the sea change effect it could help engender across millions of white hearts and souls as they are confronted with the fact that, in matters of love, hope, fear, and need for connection, they are just exactly like us. But, then, all the millions of white hearts and souls in most dire need of that awakening won’t ever see this film, will they? And so it goes...
    Daniel Kaluuya and Jodie Turner-Smith are fugitives on a Bonnie and Clyde type adventure, but in this era this movie has relevance and meaning that is quite on the nose. It's new and vivid and for crying out loud this movie hit me at the end. It all develops on a first date with our titular characters, which makes it all the more powerful. There are a few odd choices in the movie that seemed very disrespectful to the culture. If that doesn't get in the way, our two leads have a fantastic chemistry and under the direction of first-time feature filmmaker Melina Matsoukas it explodes on the screen in a slow but meaningful way. This was a really twisty and turny flick which kept me guessing which made it work. Final Score: 8.1/10
    Interesting and relevant storyline but man was it long, slow and boring. Most of the movie was them driving a car. I did like the interactions with other Black people and their varying perspectives on the situation. It added a nice extra layer. (32%)
    Crazy (and mostly accurate) depiction of things that would take the limelight soon after the movies release. A good look into the complexity of the race issue of today
    Phenomenal, one of the best films I've seen all year
    I truely can‘t beliebe this movie wasn‘t nominated in ANY category this year. Now in particular, the movie‘s topic is extremely relevant.
    My only question was: how did I not see this sooner? Daniel and Jodie were perfect from beginning to bitter end...each moment had me hanging off my seat while simultaneously enthralled with their chemistry. One of the best movies I've seen in a long time.
    I stumbled on this film through this weblink - https://edition.cnn.com/style/article/african-american-movies-white-authority-protests/index.html The fact I'd only seen 'Do The Right Thing' didn't surprise me, as I am learning a lot lately! 'Queen And Slim' appealed the most, after watching trailers for 'Rosewood'. I felt I wanted to know, see and follow a more contemporary vibe. I was mesmerised by the film. I'm a white British queer male, who has visited the States many times, and I was reminded forcefully of the truth that hit me when I first visited; in spite (or, as James Baldwin writes, perhaps because of) the widespread, relentless and breathtaking lack of humanity from white to black in the US of A, African-American culture in general exudes something so much more human and real than the legacy of white European settlement can offer, a depth of common humanity that runs through this film as it traverses from the colder north to the warmer south (a visual journey as well as I think, a metaphor). The arc of the two leads is amazing as they gradually let go of the rigor mortis of trying to stay alive and sane and behave like 'good citizens' in chilly Cleveland. It was a startling pleasure to witness the solidarity of the people of colour and blacks with the fugitives against a militarised state apparatus (the proliferation of firearms over there and the trigger-happy ease of their use never ceases to astound me. Human conflict becomes deadly very easily, no surprise there!) The tenderness of some of the characters and scenes (my favourite supporting actor has to be the elegant Afro-ed queen who unbraids Queen's hair during a soft and intimate scene), the twists, turns and tensions was astounding . Avoiding spoiler alerts, I was literally spellbound to the end. Faultless in and of itself, any art form can be critiqued, but I'm not gonna do that, because it was such a complete and utterly mesmerising experience. I would recommend everyone watches this film. 'Bonnie & Clyde' is much used in the reviews I read, it also had echoes of Terrence Malik's classic 'Badlands', though the characters were, in my opinion, deeper and richer. I rented it - I'll probably purchase it, and almost wanted to start watching it again as soon as it ended, it was so compelling. Thank you to all who created this landmark of art.
    I really like this movie. I thought it was well written with good visuals and a great soundtrack. All the actors did a great job.
    Well, it wasn't all that bad. I kept looking for that one scene that everyone said was ridiculous... Yes, it was ridiculous. Actually, the whole setup is hard to believe. But as a film, it was passable.