Rambo: Last Blood

Have you ever been to a concert where there are a few opening acts and the only thing you care about is for the main artist to come up stage? That is how a great majority of people are going to feel when watching this film. They are going to be waiting for Rambo to unleash or as he would say "open the lid." The problem for most of these spectators is that they're going to have to wait until the last 20 minutes to see this unfold. As this is the 5th and proclaim "last" film of the franchise, most that will be watching are either Rambo fans or have at least watch prior installments. However, with films like these that are part of a franchise, I usually don't like to critique it comparing it to other installments but instead review it for that person that has never seen a Rambo film. Will this particular individual enjoy it based on its own merits of quality storytelling and filmmaking? Not if they love B-level action films. The premise is very mediocre and familiar to other movies like "Taken." Although, I found Yvette Monreal's character to be endearing, there are many characters that are wasted and are not well written despite being great actors notably Paz Vega's character. The set pieces and direction looks cheap and awkward despite being one of the biggest action film franchises of all time. Luckily if you're on the other end as big Rambo fans, I can see fans being nostalgically satisfied. However, as I mentioned earlier, many will be impatiently waiting until the last act. Instead of having the action scattered thru out, putting all their eggs in a bunch will alienate audiences' focus from the overall family drama story for most of the movie. This causes a distraction and makes people feel that the film's pacing is dragging despite the short 90 minutes runtime. Despite the ordinary premise, the ultra-adult "Home Alone" action sequences might be worth it to the fan base. Some find these action scenes appalling for its brutality, but I won't hold it against the film as this will bring the most passionate Rambo fans to cheer. Since it's a Sylvester Stallone film, it cannot exist without a few montages and flashbacks. Adding to the nostalgia will be the familiar heartfelt score with its pounding brass and silky strings echoing the franchise's themes of justice, loss, regret, hope, and most importantly for Rambo fans: vengeance. Probably the most interesting aspect of this film, and for the entire franchise, is still the character study involving Rambo. Even though as the character was an original symbol for the damage that war can do to a soldier is not quite recognizable by the 5th installment, flutters of those themes are still palpable. As was quoted in the film "he came home but never arrived." Does he need violence and war to be alive and have a sense of purpose? Does he have a crisis of conscience for what he did in the past? It looked like he had inner peace initially in the film working on the farm and enjoying his new adopted family but then why did he created all those tunnels? Does he still suffer from PTSD and fear of future traumatic experiences? Credit goes to Stallone for his soulful performance and bringing an emotional fragility to the character for fear of any harm to his new adopted family. Finalizing these themes is the last emotional scene provided by a voiceover of the character. Despite being a great ending, it seemed a bit underwhelming, with ambiguity, and not very finalized for this being the suppose ending of the entire franchise. Still, seeing past highlights of older installments in the Rambo franchise for the end-credits might still satisfy fans as a proper ending. In conclusion, if you're watching Rambo for the first time with this film, it won't make you a converted however for the existing fan it might have enough arrows for its compound bow.
    A huge dissaponted Rambo franchise and it's absolutely the worst franchise since the Dark Phoenix.
    A truly memorablöe movie and *Spoliers* Sad but epic ending as well as send off to one of our most beloved action heroes. Rambo Last blood was without a doubt the bloodiest in the franchise and a ending that brought more than a few tears to mine eyes. Critics of course hate the movie while the audience loves it... I've said it before I no longer trust critics anymore.
    The Rambo franchise underwent a massive change after the first movie, and that new direction has stuck with the series ever since they put Rambo in the title. But even all the way back in First Blood, John Rambo's actions seemed to have always been fuelled by desperation. In Last Blood however, Rambo's actions are calculated, and personal. It's something I'd never really considered before, but I actually don't like this direction for the character. It's not that it doesn't make sense, because it does, just personally I preferred when Rambo was surviving the bad world that was happening to him, not creating it. 2008's Rambo was over the top and its very existence seemed bizarre, but it also felt like John Rambo "came full circle" as it were, which sort of justified that existence. Last Blood doesn't really feel like it re-opened or closed any circle. It kind of feels like an episode of a long-running show I haven't watched the last 10+ seasons of. Stallone seems to think he'll be getting a Rambo 6 where he's on a Rez, if that's the plan, why bother calling this one "Last Blood", and if it's not the case, why make this movie that starts and ends like it's supposed to slot in between other pieces of a story we haven't gotten yet? End of the day, Last Blood was okay. A low point for the series, arguably even the lowest, but it was a franchise that has always been at least a little enjoyable, so that's not too harsh a burn.
    The film is awesome... a bloody violent and gory action fest, but its Rambo.... what do you expect. The bad guys all get what they deserve. The critics are clearly a bunch of wussy little cry babies who cannot handle films like this and just like to pick holes in everything rather than just enjoy the film. If you like Rambo and action films, watch it.
    Finally a movie for men !!! This is a Rambo movie, so if people are going to watch movies thinking about watching Marvel movies, they are very wrong, because this is a very violent movie !!!!
    Admittedly I am a big fan up of Stallone and Rambo is one of my favourite franchises. The movie is painful. Upsettlingly dark and really lacking exciting action or a satisfying setup, it is definitely not worth a watch.
    Absolutely amazing, Loved the Gore! Stallone did an amazing performance like always!
    This film is a real deal. While most of us busy to get our Instagram and Facebook likes, there are real pains and suffering in the world. The world is not rosie, and evil is real. Rambo tried to have a peaceful life in his old age, but his one loved gets into trouble. Losing loved one hurts him, and only revenge will soothe his pain.
    This was not a Rambo movie. This was a movie where Rambo looses a plot device (his maids grand daughter I think) to Mexican sex traffickers and brutally kills all of them in an unsatisfying way, there was no tension after the first half of the movie, because we know that he will kill them all, and that's that. There wasn't any story here, just Rambo having another excuse to kill people.