Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark

Very entertaining! I loved the books so it was fun to watch my favorites come to life in a fun plot!
    Child's Play 2019
    Full Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconHalf Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    Definitely the kind of movie you watch at a middle school sleepover. The acting is mediocre and the script is alright. The effects are brilliant, especially the scarecrow. Decent movie with some decent scares.
    Full Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconHalf Star Icon
    Love it !! Hope there is a part two on the way !!
    Full Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    Review: ‘Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark' is an American horror film directed by André Øvredal. It is based on the children's book series of the same name by Alvin Schwartz. This is one of those movies that shouldn't work and probably wouldn't have worked if it weren't for the people behind the scenes. Three friends, Stella (Zoe Margaret Colletti), Auggie (Gabriel Rush) and Chuck (Austin Zajur) meet a new guy in town named Ramon (Michael Garza) on Halloween night and decide to go to the known to be haunted house of The Bellows family. Upon entering Ramon and Stella come upon a hidden doorway, which they believe to be the room where the family hid their deformed daughter Sara Bellows. They find a book filled with scary stories that Sara wrote and read for kids, who than later disappeared. Now, having read from the book Stella and her friends find out that stories are being written about them and try and stop Sara before their story is told. The acting in a movie is very important to me, and if a movie has bad acting, I get taken out of the story that is trying to be told. I can say with the upmost confidence, everybody will enjoy the acting in this movie. You can tell all the actors cared about the material that they were bringing to the screen. If I had to pick a standout, I would have to say Austin Zajur who plays Chuck in the movie. He is the character that provides the comic relief in this movie and he does to so well, with the quick witty humor. When the time comes for him to show his dramatic side, it is like a switch goes off and he brings it there too. I was amazed by his capabilities. I will say that the beginning of the movie is lacking in introduction of characters, but when they find the book and the first story is being told, the movie takes off! Every story that is being told does a good job now being repetitive and feel like your watching an anthology series that have a big connection. Without giving anything away, the way it ended was in a way where they could make a second one. I would be conflicted with that because this is so good as a stand-alone movie, I wouldn't want it to become a franchise even though there are plenty more stories to tell. Overall, this will be a movie I will watch multiple times and still have a smile on my face. It's not a flawless film, and there are scarier horror films out there for sure. There is something about this movie that's original and you can have fun with. 4/5
    Full Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconHalf Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    although it is not that beautiful film that i expected, it respects its genre.. it is really scary!
    Full Star IconFull Star IconHalf Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    amazing book turned into a boring movie with little to no scares. entertaining at best, the cast was bleh.
    Full Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconHalf Star Icon
    I'm not a huge fan of the horror genre in general, but I always make an exception for del Toro. SSTTITD is well written, very well acted, and evenly paced. There are several really good jump scares, and plenty of moments to give you shivers. It's also a great example of how you don't need to pack a film with profanity and gore for it to be really good and frightening. This is one we'll buy on blu-ray to watch every Halloween.
    Full Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    It was not as scary as I would have liked but was enjoyable to watch with the kids whom read the books.
    Full Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    Movie was ok and new actors did a good job. The horror tropes were obvious. The scares weren't scary and honestly I wonder who the movie was made for. You would assume for those who grew up watching it, if so go for an R rating and dial the horror to 11. When I saw Harold I thought omg the scarecrow is gonna skin him, nope just turn into a scarecrow. Hurts my childhood to see this underwhelm me.