Shadow in the Cloud

Stupidest movie ever!! You couldn’t pay me enough to go see again.
    Saw this last night with my son here in Australia and LOVED it. From the trailer was expecting a 2.5 at best, instead got a brilliant piece of clever storytelling. While it is sometimes silly, it's an Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade silly (remember the burning fighter plane racing Indy and dad down the tunnel?) that is still massively fun. Chloe Grace Moretz gives a masterfully layered, thrilling performance and is a delight to watch start to finish. Wonderful claustrophobic feel to the first half where where it combines rising fear with theatre of the mind. I really enjoyed the twists and especially the idea that there's no explanation for the gremlin. Where does it come from, why is it there... no, it simply is and while some may say that's lazy story telling, I think it's an inspired breakaway from traditional Hollywood formula. The first 45 minutes of utterly rampant misogynist is indeed cringeworthy, but it's accurate and important for the character.. This one is a winner.
    It could of been good if she didn't spend literally three quarters of the movie in that one gunner hole ...and if they didn't go way way way out of their way to paint all men as evil bastards ...it's stupid ..the movie had a good premise but ruined totally by virtue signalling bull ...it's unwatchable after you realise the miserable crap message that they lyingly push ..it's just dribble and it could of been good ...I guess babies are cool with being in a leather bag for hours and never cry ..that parts so stupid...one of the worst pieces of trash
    The pitch meeting for Roseanne Liang's "Shadow in the Cloud" is one I would kill to have witnessed. It's about thirty-eight different films crammed into one, starting off 2021 with a bizarre little trainwreck of a thriller that, despite its shameless tonal imbalance and spotty production value, makes for an unforgettably weird experience. It's absolutely bananas -- and I respect that! It's the height of World War II, and Flight Officer Maude Garrett (Chloë Grace Moretz) has been commissioned to deliver top-secret cargo contained in a document bag on board "The Fool's Errand," a B-17 bomber with an entirely-male crew who aren't expecting her arrival and immediately greet her with misogynistic ridicule before she can assert her harrowing history with air warfare that makes her the most skilled and experienced soldier on the aircraft. There's much more about this flight guest to be revealed, but, to begin, she insists that her cargo must be protected at all costs. But, when the crew tosses her below deck to the cramped turret, it's clear there's not enough room for her to stay with the mysterious cargo herself. She reluctantly leaves the bag with, seemingly, her only friend on board, Staff Sergeant Walter Quaid (Taylor John Smith), and quarters in the claustrophobic Sperry below. There, she'll come face to face with freakish, demonic creatures from the sky, and, as she struggles to get the crew above to comprehend the dangers that lie ahead, everyone on that plane will discover that such comprehension is impossible. At an eighty-three-minute runtime, this is already an extremely brief aerial adventure and the gimmick for about the first fifty minutes is that we never expand beyond the confines of the turret with Maude as the action takes place entirely from Moretz's claustrophobic POV. This uncharacteristic act of restraint for this bombastic parade of dizzying plot curveballs allows for interesting methods of inventive storytelling. During this period, the rest of the cast is essentially relegated to voiceover performances and Maude is forced to communicate the perils she's experiencing to deaf ears while she, and we, are deprived of any visuals of the peripheral action. This makes for a gripping and often stressful first two acts, but the trouble with this approach, like the structure of any contained thriller, is the constant struggle to give our heroine something to do. And when the script finally runs out of perils for Maude to encounter while stuck in the Sperry, it's forced to let her out. Then, the plot officially flies off the rails. I'm providing zero plot particulars because, at this point, we've already reached our fifth or sixth twist that effectively reshapes almost every detail of my summary, but what follows Maude's escape from the turret is essentially a game of Out-Twist the Twist in which the screenwriters make it their goal to redefine as many facets of this story as they can as quickly as humanly possible before we reach the end. It's EXHAUSTING, but it's such a devoted effort at giving the audience whiplash that I kind of dug it. I even audibly muttered, "What is happening?" almost as a reflex. You won't know what I mean until you see the film, but there's not a single surprise associated with her character that settles before a new one is provided... while new threats fly in left and right... including giant, bloodthirsty gremlins. This is what we're dealing with. But, eventually, the movie becomes about so many things that it becomes about nothing. Last week, I confessed in my review for "Wonder Woman 1984" that I failed to picture the ultimate vision behind the material because it was such a long movie with so many moving parts in service of such shallow themes. In a sort of backward effect, I'm having that same failure to grasp any sort of concrete vision here, but only because the film kept cramming more and more stuff into its tight runtime that I lost sight of what the movie was trying to say. Actually, I think the movie might've lost sight of what the movie was trying to say. But I was never bored. There are some films that pose this kind of rollercoaster pacing and excess of story beats that it all just becomes static, but "Shadow in the Cloud" manages to maintain a certain level of intrigue by out-weirding itself at every turn. There's a charm to its cheapness -- like the scene where Maude is forced to climb on the outside of the plane to escape the jammed turret and the crummy green screen makes her perils look less like a woman thousands of miles in the air holding on for dear life and more like an extraordinary demonstration of upper body strength on a very windy day. It's lame, but oddly comforting. Some days you just need a B-movie.
    For 1/3rd of the movie I kept watching saying, "ok-this is-different?" However, the moment I turned it off was when the lead actress is crawling around on the outside of the bomber, ignoring the laws of physics, falls, and gets blown back up into the plane after an explosion underneath her by a Japanese fighter. Seriously?!?! This is the best the "writers" can do? I hit the "OFF" button right there.
    I have to say spending 20 bucks on this hot piece of garbage was one of the worst decisions of my life. I believe it would be better to be tortured than ever watch this movie or anything like this again. If you are reading the reviews to see if you want to watch this movie, just don't...really this is what it has come to? I do not blame the actors/actress however I do believe the director and writers of this movie should never be allowed to make another movie ever again. If I could rate it no stars I would. Thank you for the lack of effort in trying to put a movie together and somebody owes me the 20 bucks I spent.
    I just watched half an hour of misogynistic language before anything happened in the movie. This misogynistic dialogue ran way past making it's point and grossly overtook the focus from the main plot points, flow of the movie and thematic elements that could've been wonderful and enjoyable otherwise. Anyone who's a film making expert or a knowledgeable writer understands how to set the scene, build the stakes, and not let crappy dialogue deface a greatly structured story. And yet an abomination of dialogue and age old cliches was smeared onto something that had much potential. The dialogue wasn't even witty or clever, not that that would be an excuse for what I just witnessed, but it goes to show that the misogyny was absolutely unnecessary and overdone. I went into this with low expectations, expecting a fun movie with some action and even then I was disappointed. Great acting, some knowledgeable, strategic usage of theatrical lighting choices, and great creature design is all I can say. So it's clear some people here knew what they were doing and didn't confront anyone on the dialogue. I don't think anyone even needs to know what they're doing to recognize uncalled for, overused, and pointless misogyny. A shame.
    Absolutely ridiculous plot, with no explanation as to what alien bat-like creatures were doing there in 1943. The hand-to-hand combat scene at the end almost made it worthwhile sitting through. Kind of fun, but very silly.
    I have never walked out of a movie but this was the closest I have been. I like "hit girl" as an actress but this movie did nothing for me at all, I was bored after the first 30 minutes and kept hoping it would get better but it was virtually the same all the way through. Did not grab me at all..
    Probably the worst movie I have seen in a very long time, disjointed and 2 different things going on at once. The girl power stuff was expected and fine, but showing all the men as weak and misogynistic was just trite and lazy. A big issue with that is it went so far to portray the men as being as dumb, crude and sexist as possible I feel it actually went into the realm of utterly disrespecting all those airforce guys who gave their lives for our freedom. 40,000 air servicemen lost their lives in WW2 and 18,000 more wounded. This movie, for the sake of ?feminism? trashes all that by their portrayal of these aircrew. The main character almost constantly screams all the way throughout the movie. My wife walked out with sore ears, also stating it was the worst film she had ever seen. The special effects were done well, given the material the main lead did her best. All the other actors could have easily just been picked from people walking down the street, it definitely seems like a small budget movie, no expansive sets etc. Watch it if you have a morbid curiosity, or like watching slow moving train wrecks.