Shiva Baby

Literally the most anxiety inducing movie I've ever watched. The whole thing was utter chaos with no resolve, and honestly, no like-able characters. I loved the premise, but it didn't go anywhere.
    Dark and provocative humor. I'm very impressed with the director, who is quite young. The film feels very genuine to her lived experience. The horror score is incredible.
    Director Emma Seligman's delightful 'Shiva Baby' is a delicate tightrope act that keeps the audience guessing, jumping genres from comedy to thriller at every turn. The Shiva in the title refers to the week-long mourning period in Judaism after the bereavement of close relatives and a funeral forms the core of the story. Rachel Sennott is terrific as young Danielle, a troubled teen who has to resort to 'unconventional' means to fund her gender studies courses while constantly having to hide her sexuality and true self from her overbearing parents. Danielle is thrown into a clutch of judgmental relatives at the funeral and how she comes to terms with the various challenges they throw at her forms the rest of this rollicking laugh riot. The tension is ramped up brilliantly with chilling music and close shots and the audience cant help by root for the highly flawed yet immensely relatable protagonist. Fred Melamed, Molly Gordon and Danny Deferrari are terrific in their supporting roles but it is Polly Draper as the fast-talking, over-intrusive mom that truly catches the eye. What a performance! A must watch. Now available in India on Mubi. A fitting release as we celebrate Pride Month this June. Recommended!
    Constructed as a farce, scored like an overplayed horror film, and based on her own personal experiences, writer-director Emma Seligman's indie 'comedy' of embarrassment is set almost entirely during a Jewish funeral 'after-party', where an increasingly oppressive and claustrophobic atmosphere builds up around Rachel Sennott's main character Danielle, a college student who has to contend with her overbearing family, an ex-girlfriend who's going to Law School, and upsetting revelations about her 'sugar daddy' all at the same time. Putting aside the very stereotypical portrayals, especially the gossipy and uber-competitive nature of Jewish mothers, that teeter uncomfortably towards cliches, which I'm happy to give it the benefit of the doubt; but the story is stuck in a repetitive and protracted loop as Danielle's spiralling day seems to consist of the same conversation and events play out with different characters over and over again. Worse still, I find their general behaviour and reactions to be frustratingly unconvincing and contrived a lot of the times; and the worst culprit being Danielle who comes off as a typically flaky millennial who doesn't know what she is or what she wants – and perhaps that's the point; but she also ends up an inconsistent and unsympathetic central character who keeps making bad/stupid decisions and that schtick gets tired very quickly. Clearly, I'm not this film's targeted demographic and I hate to be too harsh on something that's clearly driven by passion and boasts fine supporting work from a nice collection of actors, ranging from the painfully obvious Fred Melamed and Jackie Hoffman, to familiar faces from TV shows like Polly Draper and Dianna Agron who are nice to see again here; but when the only person I sympathize with is the screaming baby, I do believe it's time to leave.
    Emma Seligman makes this very personal which makes it work a lot more than it should. I think the concept is good, but there's only so many things you can do with it and putting the personal touch in there takes it from a nice comedy to a cringey, accurate and interesting early adulthood crisis examination.
    Writing and acting are spectacular.
    If you are not into this sort of Woody Allen, Jewish type of movie you are going to find this immensely irritating. Like I did.
    Great acting, moments of genius and thoroughly toe-curlingly awkward. Just as billed!
    one of the funniest movies ive ever seen
    redbubble.com/people/hondista/explore