The Call

Pretty good movie but can very easily tell it was impacted by COVID-19. Kind of predictable storyline but still a good movie with Tobin Bell.
    I couldn't catch my movie and you wouldn't refund me my money. That's bad business had a family emergency now I'm out of 20 bucks. Then it's no way to get in contact with anybody if you have a issue that needs resolved
    I considered giving this a half star because the acting, screen writing and plot were garbage BUT I gave it one whole star because the make up and some affects were actually very good.
    Could have been better
    Had a few jump scares, but the concept of the movie was just dumb.
    Really anticlimactic ending, but cool 80s vibes.
    Damn....not bad.....not bad at all! This one was playing at a theater close to me, and it caught my eye, so I gave the trailer a watch and said, "Sweeeeet; I'll go check it out!" Gratefully, I actually enjoyed it quite a bit. The film is surprisingly effective in its rather intense and relatable brew of psychological horror. It is remorseless and legitimately creepy (with a dash of some silliness and 80s flair for good measure). The plot is interesting, and the acting is notably solid (especially from Lin Shaye and Tobin Bell). It was exciting as I found myself often in the grip of the film, and the experience was engaging and eerily transportive for me. Projecting oneself in place of any one of the six main characters and reflecting on all the hypothetical possibilities therein practically feels like something this movie beckons its viewers to do (maybe it's just been too long since I've been to the movies). Still, I savored the flick and had to give it some love as it seems that the film hasn't been receiving much attention and may soon disappear completely under the radar.
    The Call in my opinion is just another pointless, boring, stupid, and nonsensical horror film. It's exactly like every other typical, generic horror movie we get today, but the only difference is this movie thinks that all of its cliches and flaws are excused because it takes place in the 80's. Is there anything good in this movie (other than its scares getting the biggest laughs out of me)? Tobin Bell does actually give some weight to his performance, even though 96% of his dialogue sounds like it was ripped straight from one of the Saw movies. I'm going to give The Call a 3.5/10. And a D+ on the "entertainment" scale.
    Chose to see this based on positive IMDB reviews. What a laugh. It's disconcerting how many reviews are fabricated and manipulated these days. Well, my review is real. I have nothing to gain or lose; just being honest to try to save people from the same waste of time I experienced. By about 20 minutes in, I realized I'd been duped by the IMDb reviews. The writing spent an entire 3 minutes on the background, which is supposedly the entire impetus for the turn of events that takes us to where the plot ‘begins.' Let's call this type of movie "situational horror." It's common these days and it's where writers basically outline an improbable/impossible situation that's supposed to be scary without any real writing to prop it all up or even any real scares to make it believable or push it all along. Look, I get all movies don't have to be film d'art but there should be some hurdles to getting a movie green lighted, more than just who you know or who has money to burn. "OMG, the kids have to relive their youth with an abusive dad! Oh the horror!" The plot is weak, the acting is mediocre, the dialogue is embarrassingly bad. The ‘situation' is far fetched and that's what makes it more funny than scary. Ultimately it was a waste of time, not just as horror goes but as any genre of movie. Stuff like this has no reason to be produced to be honest. People are like ‘oh this is supposed to be a fun 80s throwback film!' Well, it wasn't fun and it didn't even feel like a throwback. You can't put someone in a Members Only jacket, remove cell phones from the movie and expect it to feel like an 80s setting. The dialogue felt remarkably contemporary, losing the 80s feel. But at the end of the day, horror movies should be scary. They should say something. They should incite some level of fear in the viewer. This movie accomplished none of the above, unfortunately. We already had Freddy Krueger and Jason Voorhees. Literally. Over and over. Redone, rehashed, repackaged and reinvented. If this is supposed to harken back to those days of 80s horror, it didn't work. Another wasted 90 minutes with a plot that neither worked nor sparked a single ounce of fear.
    It was a good movie but the ending made no sense, Cliff hanger ending!!