The Father

The use of pathos throughout every shot and arguably also sound track of this film instills a sense of fear for ones own family in relation to burden. Furthermore, Hopkins' Oscar-Worthy-Performance (yes, I consider this to be one word in my dictionary) accompanied by Zeller's unruly vision truly conveys the true essence of the inevitable deterioration of the human condition on more than just a singular basis and the poignant ramification it has on those around us. The camerawork and entire plot of the film lowers the vail between screen and human mind. Nonetheless it could not have been done without the brilliance and ability of actor Anthony Hopkins who also stars in 1978s Magic one of the lesser known films I believe. However, I have heard that he has also participated in the gore aspect of the artistry of film in movies such as Silence of the Cows?. Though Zeller has adapted his play onto the big screen the raw essence remains constant throughout both mediums. Those who are familiar with his early works (plays and novels) are the only ones who truly appreciate the tone he intended to convey. Though some aspects of the film can be minimally derivative of 2014s Still Alice, it stands on its own to be entrancingly incomparable. Thank you Zeller for this master piece of cinema.
    A devastating portrayal of a mind just slipping away. Seeing Anthony lose himself and become so vulnerable was a gut punch. The writer/director makes an excellent choice of putting us in the protagonist's POV, sharing his increasing frustration at objects being misplaced, things not making sense, others condescending or outright hostile behavior. An absolute must see, and likely the greatest performance of Hopkin's career (and what a career).
    The genius of Florian Zeller's superlative adaptation of his own stage play is to view his central character's encroaching dementia through his own eyes: all the shifts and sudden changes are ones we witness too, and we experience his confusion and desperate scrabble for some kind of narrative cohesion as he does. It helps that his brilliant ensemble of actors articulate this necessarily repetitive narrative without sentimentality and occasionally with shocking brutality. Invidious to pick out performances from a flawless troupe, but Hopkins, Colman, Williams, Gatiss and Poots are genuinely superb.
    This movie was not interesting nor could we follow the plot.It was slow and boring. I hate to give a poor rating to any movie, but we did not care for it at all. We left after about 40 minutes - we were falling asleep:( And, my husband and I were the only two in the theater.
    Brilliant acting by Sir Anthony Hopkins as we are invited to explore his character's daily life and to figure out what is real, and what is not. The conflict of emotions between the main characters make for a truly gripping film.
    Amazing performances. The first time I see this sad topic being dealt from the POV of the patient. Very clever.
    With his debut feature, director Florian Zeller is extraordinarily successful in telling the story of a father with senile dementia and his daughter. The acting of Anthony Hopkins and Olivia Colman are truly remarkable, as is the script.
    This film is seriously outstanding and a tour de force of acting all round, but special mention has to be Anthony Hopkins and Olivia Coleman. But watching Anthony Hopkins - he is so believable it just makes you cry and feel so much emotion and sympathy for the character and what he is going through. The other outstanding achievement is that the film has you wondering what is real, and as an audience you are almost as confused as the poor soul who has dementia. This is well done.
    Hopkins deserved that oscar in this masterful drama
    Great acting! Indeed an Oscar winner! He was so into the character. It was just a little bit confusing throughout the movie who is who? But after all just his imagination.