The Good Liar

the best twist in the movie is: interesting trailer, big names and yet just another bad movie. forced end, just totally silly twist that is kinda hard to engage with , and even if it is based on novel, at least make it appealing for the adults .. totally forgotten and never watched again
    Quite impressive and different movie especially that it had WW2 elements - sold
    The trailer spoils a lot to the point you can guess the ending from the beginning, but what made it still entertaining for me was the 'how' even if I knew the 'what.' The story woven through here was written well with moments of tension just where they needed to be. Ian McKellen and Helen Mirren are fantastic the whole time, I expected nothing less. Quite a diversion from the usual typecasting for McKellen which I loved. He's a fantastic bad guy and pulls it off eerily well. It makes it better he's so old because we have the stigma old people can't do anything but the power he holds even in his age is well evident and just goes to show that kind of evil doesn't just disappear with age. Pleasantly enjoyable.
    The old hustle. So this is about an aging conman (Ian McKellen). He meets a woman (Helen Mirren) online on a website that very well may be Tinder for widowers. She reveals to him that she is worth a considerable amount of money, so is he in it for love, or is he in it for the money? Now I thought the trailers to this looked reasonably exciting, but as we all know: trailers lie. I had heard early reports on this that this story was as dry as can be, and even though they marketed it to be a mystery-thriller, the end product was anything but that. I thought that it might have been an exaggeration since I was with this to start, but the longer this went on, the more tedious it became. To this movie's credit, I do think that the older you are, the more your chance of enjoying this goes up. McKellen and Mirren are pros, and their commitment to their performances is the biggest highlight here. It moves along at a slower pace, but I know that the older audiences who grew up with the Golden Age of Hollywood consistently connect with a more deliberate tempo. There is violence, so it doesn't get too drab, but it's never enough to disturb, and they always pull the camera away. It struck me as a movie that you may watch with your parents, and this is about as soft of an R rating as they come. My biggest problem that I had is that I called how this was going to end before I had gotten out of the first act. There are some details that you won't be able to predict, sure, but if you are at all familiar with movies, you know the direction that it is going. They even have the camera linger longer than usual at all appropriate spots, so even if you were oblivious or not paying attention, you'd still get the hint. It made me restless because I just wanted to see the story progress, and when it is explaining everything to you in a ten-minute long "gotcha" twist, it is just dull and dreary. I'm not familiar with the novel, but this movie does feel like a missed opportunity. If you're craving this kind of a story, you'd be better off watching A Simple Favor since the twists and turns pack a surprise there. I made an earnest effort with The Good Liar, and I don't feel like I ever got rewarded. If you positively have to watch everything that McKellen or Mirren star in, then I guess you can give this a spin, but otherwise, you can skip this and not miss anything.
    I was 50/50 on whether to recommend this movie, ultimately deciding against it. It's not a bad movie, but movies about con men always have a twist and this one just wasn't "twisty" enough.
    A small-scale, well-acted and intelligently twisty entry from one of Hollywood's most formidable talents, Bill Condon.
    so few movies for grownups...this is one. reminds me of the original tv series of Mission Impossible, but also The Sting...highly recommend.
    A great movie in the sense that you think it's predictable, and yet it surprises you at the most unexpected turns.
    glad to have watched it although afterwards I kept pointing out flaws. no idea it was based on a book.
    It is my opinion that , yet again , the " expert " score misses the mark , and leaves the average viewer looking for the good taste in films , they thought they've otherwise always had . This is one of the best , most enthralling and ingenious crime thrillers I have watched in quite a while . It is a must watch for me . Relax , put your feet up and enjoy this film ! Fresh tomatoes from me , I give this one a 9 out of 10 .