The Good Liar

, 63% Fresh Tomatometer Score
  • The Good Liar is less than the sum of its prestigious parts, but Ian McKellen and Helen Mirren keep the proceedings consistently watchable.
    Sandra HallSydney Morning Herald
    It's an enthralling exercise but a peculiarly cerebral one -- a psychological thriller without the thrills.
    Scott MarksSan Diego Reader
    Wait for Britbox.
    Adam GrahamDetroit News
    McKellen and Mirren are game, but "The Good Liar" is running a clunky con.
    Rex ReedObserver
    For their first appearance together onscreen, [Condon] distills from the McKellen-Mirren team an energy that is devastating.
    Richard RoeperChicago Sun-Times
    The more we learn about the main characters, the less we believe they'd do the things they do.
    Kenneth TuranLos Angeles Times
    Through it all, however, Mirren and McKellen never waver. Smooth at being smooth, their conviction always convinces us, and their ability to register multiple subtle changes of emotion is consistently impressive.
    MontiLee StormerMovieReelist.com
    It's a calmer, gentler mystery, and maybe that's the point. Sometimes it's the quiet death of a thousand cuts that's the most devastating.
    Jason BestMarie Claire
    This highly entertaining mystery takes us through a series of sinuous plot turns... (Too many, some may feel). Its most enjoyable feature, however, is the delicious spectacle of screen veterans Mirren and McKellen going toe to toe.
    Tom BeasleyFlickering Myth
    A joyously bleak thriller that seeks to prove that the finest actors in this country now have the freedom to grow old disgracefully on the screen.
    Yasser MedinaCinemaficionados
    I needlessly waste almost two hours of my life seeing this nonsense that on the surface appears to be complex with its criminal plot of mysteries and deceits. [Full review in Spanish]