The Grudge

Very boring and not scary at all. I didn't even bother to know the whole story because is just not enjoyable. Even other shitty horror films will makes me laugh but this just straight up boring.
    This version was so unscary that I couldn't believe it. The earlier film with Sarah Michelle Gellar gave me nightmares and plenty of nights shivering just at the memory of it. This one was a total dud, from beginning to end.
    It's that January horror. So this is about a cursed ghost that followed a woman from Japan to America. Even the supernatural have to take up residence somewhere, so it claims a new house and terrorizes any new person that is unfortunate enough to step foot into the home. Now I have no familiarity with the movies that came before this. I haven't seen any of the six Japanese movies or the three American movies; all I know is what I've heard secondhand. I thought that this was a remake of a remake, but this is a sidequel, which I didn't know was a word before now. I'm not going to lie: this isn't making me want to go back and watch any of the preceding movies. Now this movie started on the wrong foot with me, because right out of the gates, the acting is noticeably amateurish. I will admit that it did get better once some seasoned actors hit the screen, but still, it is not the way you want to kick off in your movie. This is just a sloppily put together movie, and while there are several factors stacked up on top of each other, the most damning flaw is the editing. About 30 minutes in, I thought that this was just a series of vignettes, as it kept jumping from family to family... and then it started to pick those other stories back up. It interrupts any flow this movie has, and I don't know whose idea it was to have them jump between years on a dime, but it sank this movie like a cannonball. The scares are cheap, and for whatever reason, about 75% of them take place in the bathroom. As I said, I'm not familiar with the previous movies, but it never provides you an explanation of why this ghost favors the lavatory, so I can only assume that it is just a kink. When you think of bad horror, you are probably thinking of a movie like this. The abilities of this evil entity aren't clearly defined, and there isn't any motivation that I can see. There are lots of unnatural reactions, and I can't even begin to tell you how many times characters just brush off being accosted by a ghost and then go back to their business. There was a reason this was released in January. There isn't an ounce of subtlety to this, and everything about this just screams low-rent horror. If I had to say something nice about it, I will say that I didn't mind the segments with John Cho and Betty Gilpin. They're professionals, so they do show up, but still, it isn't enough of a reason to watch it. If you're at all familiar with horror, then you have already seen everything this movie has to offer.
    This movie was so horrible that I actually signed up on Rotten Tomatoes just to let everyone know how horrible it was. Simply put, it wasn't scary at all. The story, if there actually was one, jumped around so much that it was impossible to feel connected to what was happening. I don't typically mind time skips in movies, but this one was didn't really make any sense. Such a shame, because I love the actors and I definitely loved the original Ju-On films. I'm a horror movie buff but this one was just lame. I'd skip if I were you.
    The reviews by majority are correct. This movie totally sucks. The psychological terror induced by the other Grudge ghosts was thrown in the gutter for cheap old tricks, by cheap old people. This movie is an utter failure and a disgrace to the horror genera.
    This movie was terrible. Too much going on at once. The movie is made like they are in the 90s but yet it is supposed to be 2006. Hated the ending. The last thing we need is another one of these terrible mcvies
    I cannot believe the negative reviews. If you like horror films you will love this. I thought it was brilliantly directed with awesome pacing and very creepy characters who acted the part skillfully and with passion. I loved this film !
    It was okay to watch in a pinch, but the makers of this film should have let the franchise alone.
    It's hard not holding a grudge against this mess. A few shocking visuals can't help make up for the completely nonsensical plot of this dull offering into an already floundering franchise. Added points for at least making it an R-rated affair. Without that, there's really nothing to watch. 4/10.
    I went into this with an open mind. It has been nearly 10 years since I saw the first two in the Grudge series, and they still resonated with me. I was astounded, I actually legitimately enjoyed this movie, as did my girlfriend. It was an unsettling movie, exactly what it was meant to be. It had a driven story with good, relatable characters, and an overall understandable plot that spanned several years and different characters. While my review does not reflect many of the others, I would give this a 5/5, it was a very enjoyable movie.