The Invisible Man

Full Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconHalf Star Icon
    Whoever thought that a reboot of the corny, yet iconic Universal monster would lead to one of the best horror films ever made. Yes, I'm trying to say that Leigh Whannel's thriller-esque take on "The Invisible Man" is a shockingly tense, well-acted, visceral and terrifying achievement for the genre. Led by a terrific and empowering Elisabeth Moss, this flick not only takes thrillers to the next level, but it also injects more than enough hints of #MeToo to get its point across. The camera-work is astonishing, and the most impressive thing is, the movie was made on a scant seven million dollars. Whannel's technical talents have made this low-budget film look better than any expensive, run-of-the-mill action movie, and that's something to boast about. The score is nothing short of excellent, and the somewhat feminist allegory marks a significant change from its source material. These factors also make the movie a lot more unique than the traditional reboot. And instead of copying the source's story it invents something new, which is a rare thing to come upon. The movie starts right in the thick of it, with Cecilia Kass (Moss) attempting to escape from her abusive and controlling husband Adrian Griffin (a stellar Oliver-Jackson Cohen). After Cecilia successfully runs away with the help of her sister Emily (Harriet Dryer), she then finds out that Adrian killed himself in his own house. Now trying to close the door on her past demons and staying with cop James Lanier (Aldis Hodge), a sequence of unexplained events begin to occur. When Cecilia suspects that Adrian may have found a way to become invisible and stalk her, she must try to prove that not everything is what it seems. This premise could have been hilarious, a joke for all I care, but I was on the edge of my seat the entire two hours. If one thing is guaranteed it is that Elisabeth Moss is a tour-de-force in the leading role. She plays Cecilia, who after escaping from her rich husband, becomes paranoid that something or someone is stalking her, watching her every move. It's darn terrifying all right, and Moss nails nearly everything with a flawless performance. Also, the actress has become yet another excellent lead role in horror, and her film has joined in with all the greats: "The Shining", "A Quiet Place", "Halloween" and more. But Moss's performance outshines those in a typical slasher flick and her co-star Oliver-Jackson Cohen makes for a competent villain that may not be as iconic as Jack Nicholson was, but he's damn good. The supporting cast is also top-notch, Aldis Hodge and Harriet Dryer are both superb in their respective roles. Teen actress Storm Reid has also excelled in her modest role as Sydney. The cast isn't star-studded, which is just how it needs to be, fresh and talented. Remember the anticipated launch of the Dark Universe in 2017, a cinematic franchise that was attempting to bring back all of Universal's classic monsters to life? Well turns out the first film in that hunk-of-junk had to be the Tom Cruise-starring, ill-fated "Mummy" reboot. And after Cruise's "The Mummy" hailed disappointing box office returns and lackluster critical reception, the cinematic universe was dead. Shockingly, Whannel has somewhat brought back the attempted series to life with this small, but incredible film. Despite being an R-rated thriller that doesn't focus on big action sequences, this could mean something new will be arriving. Perhaps not a direct sequel to this movie (which I'd be down for), but taking a similar formula from this flick and injecting them into let's say..."Dracula". It could work, especially since this movie is a masterpiece.
    Full Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    Very good suspense driven movie. A modern twist on an old story with some cool technology.
    As a horror-movie enthusiast, I have watched the old version of The Invisible Man since I was a kid. However, this is an old horror movie idea with a new twist. It is an all-rounded horror film with lots of twists. I love all the elements in this movie - the actors, the plots, the emotions and the scene. One of my favourite American horror movie I have ever seen.
    Full Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    Very good movie, gripping all the way through. I'll recommend
    one of the iconic movie I ever watched till the end without any disappointment
    Loved it. The scenes are dark and somber, adding to the feelings inside an abused woman. A story that needs to be told. Women suffer beyond our imagination, in the movie revealed from her telling to us seeing... no need to see more. The pain is inside, the need to get out when no one is listening. Then the transformation, the kick ass woman that she becomes, but never losing the suburban girl way of looking at the world. The Invisible Man is the bad guy, the heroin are all women that wish they could be her! Isn't that what superhero movies are about? I mean, with a twist, as this is not about him... but about her. A feminine and feminist movie, suspenseful, I could not leave my (quarantine) couch!
    Full Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    Good, but not great. Little character development.
    Full Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconHalf Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    Good movie. Crawls under you skin keeps you on edge.
    Half Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    A lot of loop holes, a very boring movie, with a very bad dialogue. The script was horrible, I really don't recommend this movie. The black mirror episodes are better, do yourself a favor and watch the black mirror series. I saw this movie because of the quarantine, not worth it.
    Full Star IconHalf Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    The ridiculousness of this movie is comical. The entire movie is based on coincidences that make no sense and characters making decisions that are clearly only to push the plot forward. The movie tries to drop you right into a climactic moment then spends no time developing any character. It is a cheap token horror movie built on the idea that people are stupid enough to over look even the most gaping plot holes.