The Lighthouse

the acting was amazing, cinematography was as beautiful as I expected and more. however the movie isnt for the faint of heart, the way the sounds absolutely immerse you into the story and make you feel like you are right in the house with them is done so well it feels like a bad trip. I'm so used to movies having a set ending, but this director leaves things open to interpretation, which I personally enjoy, but it is not for everyone. overall, I left the film feeling uncomfortable, interested, and thinking of what means humans will go to in order to survive. but I liked that about it.
    Full Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    Really out there, but something about it... keeps me coming back.
    Willem Defoe gives a tour de force performance driving Robert Pattinson insane. You can feel the tension between the two right through the screen
    excellent story, excellent set design, great, creepy score. awesome performances from Pattinson and Dafoe as well as great direction from Eggers culminates in a creepy, tense ride that mixes influences from Poe, Melville and a little bit of Greek myth to make a movie that isn't just one of this years best, but also of the decade.
    LIFF33 2019 #2 "𝐾𝑒𝑒𝑝𝑖𝑛 π‘ π‘’π‘π‘Ÿπ‘’π‘‘π‘ , π‘Žπ‘Ÿπ‘’ 𝑦𝑒?" Time to spill the beans…'The Lighthouse' is a masterpiece! I loved loved loved loved it! I loved every minute of it. One of my favorite movies of 2019 and I honestly don't think anything can top it. A slow descent into madness that creeps into your subconscious and won't be leaving anytime soon. From the very first frame, I immediately knew this was going to be special. I was hooked throughout until the end credits. Willem Dafoe and Robert Pattinson both deliver career defining performances. They play off each others insanity beautifully. I could tell just from the accents and dialect that plenty of homework went into making an authentic portrayal of the time. Robert Pattinson is fantastic as a quiet and private lighthouse keeper that witness the madness slowly unfolding, but also feeds the audiences curiosity on revealing the strange happenings on the island. Pattinson is a chameleon when it comes to portraying characters. Willem Dafoe, on the other hand, was mesmerizing as the old sea dog captain with a love for farting. His long and insane monologues are the main highlights, because it was so electrifying to watch it was hard not be captivated. He's strict and often unpredictable, but once you see it, you won't forget it. I hope Robert Eggers continues making horror movies in the future, because right now he's one of the best living directors working today. The slow-burn tension and lack of conventional scares seems to be his trademark so far. Every choice he made was so carefully thought out and the results is masterful. According to Eggers, they actually built a lighthouse from scratch and everything we see, including the weather, is genuine. Even if some tricky was used, it was so seamless I couldn't tell what was fake. I loved how the movie was shot; the dim black-and-white with the claustrophobic aspect ratio, giving it the appearance of a silent film born like a German expressionism - something you would've mistaken for a 1920/30's horror folklore. Perfectly captures the time period and the overall dread. You really do feel cut off from the outside world and abandoned on this spectral-like island, and this black sheet of cloud strongly looming over the two men. A dark force in all directions, unseen but very eerie. The cold and heartless weather is a character itself. A big bully with salty intentions. I adored the use of lighting through out, as the only light source is either natural light during daytime or candle lit lanterns, which cast many shadows that adds to the unease. There's some gorgeous looking cinematography on display here. Seriously, even as am writing this right now I can memorize every single frame of this strange nightmare of a film. Absolutely breathtaking. While the movie is mainly horror, but there is comedy sprinkled throughout that was actually pretty hilarious. Everything from Dafoe farting and some creative insults the characters would often spit at each other, which would later expand into long monologues that I sat back and watch in awe with a stupid grin on my face, because how something so silly can be so poetic. Never have I seen a movie that perfectly balances more than one genre so fluently. You can laugh at the moments where it's suppose to be funny, but also take it seriously whenever it's suppose to be taken seriously, which is sometimes all in one scene. The writing from Eggers is so excellent. After only one viewing there was a lot I could easily dissect in terms of interpretation. There's masculinity and Greek mythology imagery that demonstrates a striking sense of power. There's also a certain idea of sexuality being a sacred thing and the frustration it may bring. Or maybe it's just a simple story about two guys on a rock getting drunk and then getting even drunker while holding each other until they drift off to sleep. Overall rating: One of the best looking horror comedies of 2019.
    It's a hard film to sit through. Actually the theatre emptied out within the first 30-45 minutes of it, and I understand. It's an art film, which isn't for everyone's. It's full of isolation, which isn't for everyone. It's sexual in uncomfortable and unconventional ways, which isn't for everyone. It's like an old tale, the way the Greeks would have told it, set to the tone of classics like The Albatross. The choice to film in black and white was a strong one, and seeing William Dafoe as a godly, imposing, judging lighthouse himself, illuminating the crimes and madness of his co star's character, was powerful imagery- which isn't for everyone. I was blown away that Robert Patterson's performance was so compelling and strong, I mean, you expect this from Dafoe, but this has launched a teen vampire heartthrob into a real, visceral, and amazing actor. A prefect score from me, even if I did squirm and whimper and dry heave some, it takes a strong story to make a grown man whimper.
    The Lighthouse is a must see if you like thought provoking films. It has stayed with me since I saw it. Every aspect of it is incredible..direction, script, acting , cinematography, sound, music.
    Full Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    Wild ride the whole way.
    Full Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    An epic sheen but I am confused
    This movie can be interpreted in so many different ways. It keeps you guessing on what is really going on the whole time. It's very enticing and had fantasy, horror, and drama elements to it. To say anymore might spoil it, I highly recommend this film.