The Paper Tigers

The Paper Tigers is such an engaging film with impeccable stunts, feisty characters and plot twists that grab your attention. You'll feel like you've just witnessed these events happening in real life. The Paper Tigers is about three childhood friends named Danny (Alain Uy), Hing (Ron Yuan) and Jim (Mykel Shannon Jenkins) who, as adults, reunite after their sifu (teacher) dies. As kids, they shared the love of Kung Fu, but after all these years they have moved on to not such bigger or better things. When they hear speculation from an old enemy that their sifu was actually murdered, they try to find the culprit to avenge him. The Paper Tigers is a movie centered on the martial art of Kung Fu, which means the stunts need to be executed just right for the action scenes to be believable. I found the stunts top notch; the stunt coordinators made the characters look like they are actually fighting. In fact, the entire crew working on this movie clearly put a lot of effort into making it realistic. In the film, Danny, Hing and Jim run into their old nemesis, Carter, and end up making a bet and getting into a brawl to get information about sifu. The guys are not in the best shape and haven't fought a match in years so naturally, they have a tough time defending themselves. When they get hit, you can see blood coming from their faces, which looks scarily real. Kudos to the make-up team for creating such realism. Something else that makes The Paper Tigers unique is its comedic relief. Although the film has a very serious plot and the majority of the scenes are full of tension, the screenwriters added scenes where you can laugh, despite the violence. One of my favorite moments is when the three young disciple impersonators come to sifu's funeral acting foolish. Being embarrassed, Hing says, "Let's take these K-Pop rejects." This sense of humor definitely makes Hing a more likeable character and lightens the mood. The message of The Paper Tigers is that when you give someone your word, you need to honor it. Even though Danny, Hing and Jim left their master and got separated from each other, when it came down to it, they kept their promise. They gathered the courage to get justice for sifu and be true disciples. Parents should be aware that this film has some adult language and some martial arts violence. I give The Paper Tigers 4 out of 5 stars and recommend it for ages 14 to18 plus adults. Anyone that loves Kung Fu and action will enjoy this film. The Paper Tigers is available in theatres and on digital now, and on Blu-Ray and DVD on June 22, 2021. Make sure you check it out! By Maica N., KIDS FIRST!
    Really surprising great movie. This is the reason why I enjoy watching films. You don't know what good movies will pop on your radar. I'm glad I saw this. It has everything you need in an easy watchable movie. It has all the emotions. It has the humor, the deep emotional turns with the main dad going through divorce and his son who unfortunately gets bullied at school and wants to defend himself. And what's funny is I haven't even gotten to the best part of the film yet. It's the actors. Both the original 3 tigers as teenagers have all the charisma and like-ability in the world and even the adult actors of the same characters carry and have that same charisma. For a movie to both have good young and old characters that's remarkable. The last time I saw this done right was the movie beaches. Anyway even the writing is great. It has a great flow to it and I want to keep watching. In the end I have an amazing time with this and I can't wait to see what this director does next.
    Really surprising great movie. This is the reason why I enjoy watching films. You don’t know what good movies will pop on your radar. I’m glad I saw this. It has everything you need in an easy watchable movie. It has all the emotions. It has the humor, the deep emotional turns with the main dad going through divorce and his son who unfortunately gets bullied at school and wants to defend himself. And what’s funny is I haven’t even gotten to the best part of the film yet. It’s the actors. Both the original 3 tigers as teenagers have all the charisma and like-ability in the world and even the adult actors of the same characters carry and have that same charisma. For a movie to both have good young and old characters that’s remarkable. The last time I saw this done right was the movie beaches. Anyway even the writing is great. It has a great flow to it and I want to keep watching. In the end I have an amazing time with this and I can’t wait to see what this director does next.
    An amazing film that I highly recommend. It has humor , action and heart. The first film I've seen in a theater in 14 months because of covid and it was a fitting return. Support this movie ! Martial arts movie fans will love it but so will everyone else.
    It was just an enjoyable movie
    A little hokey. Seems like they lost interest in developing the script for the second half to 2/3 of the movie. And casting for Danny was all wrong. Either the younger Danny. Or the older Danny. You cannot visualize both being the same person. A fighter doesn't become a soiboi in 20 years.
    Terrible. Two hours of my life wasted with my kids.
    Clever, non formulaic plot that manages to make super hero behaving individuals of people with real lives. The creative team didnt set out to make a Standard martial arts film and succeeded in making a film that appeals to audiences of martial arts in a realistic setting.
    Very unexpectedly enjoyable.
    Didn't love it. Character development pretty weak in my opinion so just wasn't feeling it with the characters. Fun at times though. Could have closed with the kid kicking the bully's ass. Predictable but would have been rad.