The Photograph

75% Fresh Tomatometer Score75%
  • Gorgeous visuals, an affecting love story, and simmering chemistry between Issa Rae and Lakeith Stanfield keep The Photograph solidly in focus.
    Richard RoeperChicago Sun-Times
    Lakeith Stanfield and Issa Rae do wonderful work as people with an instant connection.
    D. WatkinsSalon.com
    The American black experience has been the definition of pain; however, we do experience joy, fun, and love like every other race. We also experience success, and that is silently the most powerful element of The Photograph.
    Christy LemireBreakfast All Day
    It is so good. It is so lovely, and beautifully acted, [and] gorgeously shot.
  • Rotten Tomatometer Score
    Peter RainerFilmWeek (KPCC - NPR Los Angeles)
    It's a little too soft and soupy.
    Janaya GreeneChicago Reader
    Love, romantic or otherwise, is complicated. The Photograph reminds us that familial love is the root of how we love others.
    Peter TraversRolling Stone
    For a Valentine's trip to the movies, you couldn't wish for a hotter and more talented pair of lovers than Issa Rae and LaKeith Stanfield. Too bad the movie snuffs out their spark with cliches and over-complicated flashbacks.
    Mae AbdulbakiThe Young Folks
    The chemistry between Rae and Stanfield is ultimately lost amid the choices to embellish in aesthetic than to dive into the true heart of the story.
    Alexandra MacAaronWomen's Voices for Change
    I was afraid I was in for a sappy romance. The Photograph, written and directed by Stella Meghie, turned out to be decidedly romantic and not at all sappy. It's beautiful to watch (and not just because of its unusually handsome stars).
    Matt BrunsonFilm Frenzy
    Chances are audiences will fall in love with the stars' relaxed and natural chemistry. It's just a shame their romance is trapped in a movie as staid as this one.
    Lapacazo SandovalNew York Amsterdam News
    Director/screenwriter Stella Meghie is a skilled storyteller who has delivered a modern love story that works.