The Truth

, 88% Certified Fresh Tomatometer Score
  • The Truth may not stand with Hirokazu Kore-eda's best work, but it finds the writer-director revisiting familiar themes with a typically sensitive touch.
    Ty BurrBoston Globe
    Using compassion and the slightest touch of syrup, Kore-eda brings his characters to a place where they realize with shock that they're finally on the same page.
  • , Rotten Tomatometer Score
    Amy NicholsonFilmWeek (KPCC - NPR Los Angeles)
    It feels like Koreeda used his awesome clout to make the kind of standard picture that we get a dozen of every year.
  • , Fresh Tomatometer Score
    Christy LemireFilmWeek (KPCC - NPR Los Angeles)
    It's gentle and a little wistful... It's fine, which is not what you expect to say with the people involved, but I enjoyed it.
    Lidija HaasThe New Republic
    The new film returns to some of Kore-eda's favorite themes of responsibility, legacy, and the fluidity of roles between parents and children.
  • , Rotten Tomatometer Score
    Bilge EbiriNew York Magazine/Vulture
    Everything - every scene, every line of dialogue - feels like it's working toward a point. Which, when you think about it, is a good way to never actually make a point.
    James BerardinelliReelViews
    The Truth is layered and offers a treat for those who savor acting on the highest level, but it is a step down from his best films and may hold its strongest appeal for those who label themselves cineastes and art house movie-lovers.
    Brandy McDonnellThe Oklahoman
    In many ways, The Truth treads familiar territory, but Kore-eda brings a deftly humorous touch to the story.
    Bill NewcottThe Saturday Evening Post
    I don't have much patience for films about how hard it is to be a movie star - I hear Starbucks is hiring - but there's no denying the thrill of seeing the great Catherine Deneuve as a fading screen goddess coming to terms with movie mortality.
    Carla HayCulture Mix
    It's not a movie that's going to change the world, but it's one that will make people think about the emotional toll that comes from holding grudges against family members and whether or not refusing to forgive is worth the cost.
    Sara StewartBook & Film Globe
    The Truth has flaws, and it feels small-screen to me, although I suppose that's true of every movie that comes out right now. But Catherine Deneuve is a total delight as the fabulous, frank Fabienne.