The Wretched

Full Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    Waste of time!! This movie was poorly made and barely had any scary parts. The story line was predictable and absolutely boring.
    Full Star IconFull Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    ‪The Wretched aims to be a dark spooky fairytale but ends up a bit of a mess that doesn't quite click. Some jump scares keep you interested but it never strays far from cliche. Not wretched but not memorable either.‬
    Full Star IconFull Star IconHalf Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    The Wretched stands as the biggest shot yet for The Pierce Brothers to make their mark in the movie business. As writers, their over-ambition results in many flaws in the screenplay, leaving plenty of room for improvement. But they certainly fare better in the directing department as this horror film looks and sounds the goods, especially when considering its smaller budget. The first indication of the writing becoming slack arrives during what is otherwise an impressively handled scene captured mostly via a baby monitor. Nevertheless, all it takes is a minor doubt given here and another one thrown there to demonstrate that proceedings in The Wretched are going in favour of upping the creepiness and lowering the plausibility. We see this sort of thing happen a lot in horror movies. One particular establishment to eventuate post the aforementioned scene (which I won't mention here) can only be perceived as a clear plot hole until later revelations do a rough patch-up job. If these writing blemishes ended there, I would still grant The Wretched a pass mark. As I said, the production is well-made and its creepiness works. Unfortunately, an ill-conceived further twist only adds to its woes and opportunities created by The Pierce Brothers that could've given their horror story psychological and dramatic depth have been disappointingly overlooked. Ben's parents are in the middle of a divorce, which is certainly causing some friction between him and his father. Especially when Ben sees his Dad with a new woman, Sara (Azie Tesfai). This component of the plot, and another set 35 years from the present timeline to commence this film, are ultimately heavily under-utilised and could have resulted with The Pierce Brothers making a statement rather than just a name for themselves.
    Full Star IconFull Star IconHalf Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    This movie tried to be too darn cute, hence the 2.5 stars. I mean i watched it but really don't know much about it after 1.5 hours plus of screen time. There is a novel concept of explaining some stuff as the movie goes along. Not this movie, instead your left to deduce meanings while keeping up with all the craziness the young lead is into. I mean there was one or two too many times he did something so far out there that I audibly yelled no way or what?! Don't waste your time on this one... FYI - the cinematography was excellent!
    Full Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    It was a pretty good horror movie. Pretty typical but entertaining and that is the whole point of movies. It originally premiered July 2019 and just appeared in some theaters since there are no other new movies to show since COVID-19 quarantine.
    Full Star IconFull Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    I went to this movie without viewing any descriptions or ratings. As much as I like this genre, I could barely sit through this movie. I'm very disappointed considering it was my first film at a theater in over three months. I could have gathered a few friends and filmed a much better version of this film with my phone camera and those that have never acted professionally before. Two thumbs down
    Full Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconHalf Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    Whether it's because it's well written or I had very low expectations, The Wretched is a marvelous horror movie. It starts out a bit slow but once it starts it keeps going. The actors were good, the scares were genuine and the story is actually interesting. I don't get why the audience score is low but for once I'm with the critics on this one. The Wretched is a decent film, sure to please genre fans.
    Full Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    Doesn’t reinvent the wheel but it still is a entertaining horror flick.
    Good scary movie! Must watch
    Full Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconHalf Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    One of the good things to come out of this pandemic; a low-budget, terrific indie horror film, that shares DNA with 1985's FRIGHT NIGHT, and steals the same basic plot device from Hitchcock's REAR WINDOW, manages to do much better on the big screen, because it faces no major competition. The Pierce Brothers can be proud. they have a well-deserved success on their hands, and hopefully this can lead them to bigger things. With a tight, tense narrative, believable protagonists and a great twist in the last act, THE WRETCHED is definitely worth your time.