Thrasher Road

Full Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconHalf Star Icon
    Dave and I have an agreement when it comes to movies. If I pick it, he is free to leave after twenty minutes if he doesn't like it, and vice versa. For this movie, neither one of us budged; both of us sat there entranced, not wanting it to end. The movie is touching without being maudlin. It conveys a message that anyone who's experienced loss—and redemption—can relate to. You'll find the themes linger long after the closing credits. Dave and I agree this is one of the best, if not THE best film, we've seen this year. Do yourself a favor and see this remarkable movie.
    This movie was raw, real, and you root for the characters throughout. Loved the honest portrayal of the US and her people.
    Thrasher Road tackles the emotional journey of coming to terms with our continual search for love. It's the story of a young woman on the verge of motherhood confronting her estranged father and attempting to heal their relationship. The film poetically touches on how difficult it is to be a good parent and the lasting effect our decisions have on our children. The characters are nuanced, the writing is layered and the acting is very natural. In addition, the story takes us on a stunning cross-country trip across America with striking landscapes and unique communities playing a role in the drama. It is a beautiful film that takes on a difficult subject that needs to be addressed and talked about. I loved the movie!
    This is the BEST movie I've seen in a long time. REAL human and canine relationships, with all the humor, heartbreak and joy of life's journey.
    This beautiful road trip film does not disappoint. It's a moving and thoughtful story of love and redemption with wonderful performances. And if you're a dog lover you shouldn't miss it!
    Who doesn't love a good road trip movie? This is a great one! Lots of laugh-out-loud moments, beautifully shot, moving music. And a feeling at the end that the story will stick with you, provoking big-picture questions about human nature and relationships and what it's all really about here in this big, mysterious world. Kudos to everyone involved in the making of this film.
    Full Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconHalf Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    Chances encounters and rescue missions drive this emotional road trip across the highways of America carried along by authentic small moments, great original music and cinematography.
    Thrasher Road is an honestly-acted, well-written, beautifully-filmed meditation on the juxtaposition of the unconditional love of animals, and the highly-conditional love of human beings. The journeys taken by the two main characters help them to see that there is more that connects than separates them. The places they are thrown into along the way are characters themselves, and reflect the complexity and depth of human relationships. This film provides an intimate look at the barriers people construct in response to the vulnerability we all feel, and how our lives are shaped by the choices and weaknesses of the people who are close to us. Ultimately, this story shows that the power is within each individual to decide how to live our lives, and that the choice of how we react to people is up to us alone.
    A shaggy little road movie with a big heart, Thrasher Road has strong performances and beautiful locations to spare. I especially liked Christian Kohn as Mac, the estranged father of Chloe (Allison Brown) who has decided to leave LA behind and return to Vermont with her old dog. Is it strange to also praise the performance of a dog? Who cares. I'll do it anyway. The dog is great and adds a much-needed emotional focus for the people who care for him - especially since the people involved haven't always taken great care of each other. There is lots of unfinished business and many old scores to settle. It's a damaged group, filled with regret for past mistakes and struggling to survive close to the bone but they all eventually accept each other at face value and leave the past behind. The ending is beautiful and has stuck with me since seeing the film a few days ago. Thrasher Road shows off The West in the best way and reminds me of a few of my favorite road movies: Into The Wild, Five Easy Pieces, Badlands, Easy Rider.
    Full Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconHalf Star Icon
    The wonderful and earnest "Thrasher Road" slowly and expertly pulls at the simple threads of everyday life, only to give rise to complex intricacies and imperfect familial truths. Director Samantha Davidson Green shrewdly starts her story at a deceptively plain-faced and unassuming launch point. Yet with each passing scene, she weaves in layers of relational nuance and accumulating complication that most of us with imperfect family lives will find exceedingly truthful. Chloe (Allison Brown) is pregnant; pursuing something aspirational in L.A. by way of blue collar Vermont, she waits tables by day, and by night she returns to her apartment, joining boyfriend and busking songwriter Hank (Joe Rogers) and her lovely and aging hound Thrasher (played endearingly by the scene-stealing Roscoe). Chloe loves Hank, but their financial ends spectacularly don't meet, forcing her to concede defeat as she loads Thrasher into her car and begin the painful drive back to Vermont. When she gets in an accident and her working mom can't come and help complete the journey, her estranged dad Mac (Christian Kohn) appears at Chloe's motel room door. And with that, "Thrasher Road" begins to methodically reassemble the broken pieces of its characters. "Thrasher Road" melds a director's terrific vision with the emotional heft of an imperfect but ultimately hopeful family life in what amounts to a truly inspired piece of filmmaking.