Tiny Toon Adventures: How I Spent My Vacation

Full Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    Fans of the series will have fun.
    Full Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    Good old fashioned Tiny Toons style fun. If you like the show, you'll enjoy this.
    Full Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    Lots of fun for the whole family.
    Full Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconHalf Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    Oh! I get it, the characters are supposed to be all the Looney Tunes counterparts, Elmira is Elmer Fudd's, Plucky is Daffy's, Fifi is Pepe's, etc. The cartoons nowadays are so hyperactive its hard to eat a potato chip without missing a joke or reference. Jay Leno's chin, Superman and more are a bit ovrkill but still entertaining for the whole family.
    one of many childhood favorites...
    Full Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconHalf Star Icon
    The Looney Tunes gang would be proud of this movie.
    Although I never watched the show much as a kid, this was one of those movies I would always pick out at the video store time and time again whenever I'd go with my parents to rent movies. It holds up pretty well, even when seeing it as an adult, as the humor is nonstop crazy and there are tons upon tons of cool references to recognize. Definitely an underrated movie.
    Full Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    It's here. At long last, another piece of animation and television history has been re-issued thanks to Warner Home Video. Tiny Toon Adventures How I Spent My Vacation is a wonderful addition to the library of anyone that grew up with the classic cartoon, Tiny Toon Adventures. A lot of people thought that the show was little more than a "kid-ification" of the Looney Tunes franchise. But in reality, it was a way to indoctrinate young audiences into the world of Looney Tunes. And this hilarious almost hour and a half long movie was a wonderful extension of the show. How I Spent My Vacation sees the Tiny Toons gang head out on Summer vacation at long last, each with different results. Buster and Babs get swept away don a river thanks to Buster starting a squirt gun war with Babs. Plucky goes on a road trip with his best pal Hampton that he ends up regretting ever taking. And even Fifi and Shirley have their own problems to deal with. Kids might not get it. And those audiences who were kids when this movie was originally released probably didn't get it back then. But the writers behind the story threw in some great pop culture references for parents throughout this feature. Among the most noticeable was the reference to the 1972 classic Deliverance, when Buster and Babs are floating down the river with Byron. And while it wasn't a direct reference to the original National Lampoons movies, Plucky's trip with Hampton and his parents could be equated to said movies. At the same time, what viewer wouldn't watch the group's trip and say to themselves they've heard very realistic horror stories of family vacations that were either as bad as or worse than that one. The trip even includes (perhaps) an indirect tongue-in-cheek reference to all the slasher flicks that Hollywood has ever churned out with the family trip storyline. The hilarious and family friendly storyline is a major part of what made Tiny Toon Adventures and this spinoff movie so great. But it was also the hand drawn animation that played a role in how great this movie was. So many movies and television shows today are made with the ease of CG. And as so many critics and people inside the entertainment business have noted time and again, the use of CG has really caused so much work to lose its heart and soul. The hand drawn animation of the Tiny Toons franchise gave it its very own heart, soul, and identity. It stood out even from the classic Looney Tunes from which it was spawned. And it stood out among the other great animated classics of the 90's. All said, now that it's been re-issued on DVD, fans that saw it as kids can enjoy this classic from long ago once again with their own kids. So kudos to Warner Home Video for that. And here's to hoping someone up there will see the success of this release and start releasing the original show's remaining seasons soon.
    Full Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    There are some things from my childhood that will NEVER get old. This is one of them.
    Full Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    TINY TOON ADVENTURES has always been one of my favorite TV series, and I partially owe it to this direct-to-video feature, which was my introduction to the show. It starts out with the toons at Acme Looniversity, counting down the minutes until the bell rings, and from then it's summer vacation. Buster and Babs Bunny (no relation) are literally swept downstream on a river cruise to the South (on account of a squirt-gun skirmish) where they get mixed up with carnivorous possums, gators, and other critters (who naturally, want to eat them). Plucky Duck accompanies his best friend Hamton Pig to Happy World Land (a theme park complex with attractions such as "Happy Go Pukey", "Bullet Train to Heck", and others) on a cross country "vacation" that turns out to be sheer hell. In between, Fifi vainly tries to seek out dream "skunk" Johnny Pew, Elmyra naturally disobeys orders to stay in the car while touring a drive-in safari (terrorizing the wild animals like kitty cats), and Shirley reluctantly goes along with Fowlmouth to a movie presented with the (literally) deafening THUD sound system. All this happens in the course of 80 minutes. And throughout, it's outrageously wacky, silly, hilarious, laugh-out-loud fun. The production values are excellent for a 90's direct-to-video feature, and plenty of jokes to tickle your funny bone. I quickly became a fan of TINY TOONS as a result of this movie, and chances are you will too; although of course, those who do know the show will easily lap it up.